cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shambolic
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Horrid Infinity experience

I had Infinity installed a few months ago and it has been nothing but a nightmare. Right from day one and is still a nightmare, here is my story about how shambolic BT have been.

Firstly the engineer who fitted my filtered face plate ripped out all my extension wiring from the faceplate and then could not put it back. He gave no explanation, fiddled with it for about 45 minutes randomly guessing which wires went in which punch down on the back of the socket, but could not get my phones to work again. I do not think he knew what he was doing, probably some contractor which has only been trained to activate Infinity.

Phoned BT to complain, as soon as he had gone only to be told I would be charged something like £100 for them to come back out and fix it. It was their staff that caused the mess, literally minutes earlier. How does that work, customer pays for inept engineer work? I obviously refuse their offer to bill me to fix their own mistakes.

IN ADDITION... The Infinity connection barely worked, sometimes it dropped sync and would not re-connect for hours, lights just flashed on and off. When it did connect I had a pathetic 2Mb upload and 4Mb download.

Phoned another department in BT to complain about this, going through the stupid automated options again, until finally ending up in the same call centre to be told that this is operating within spec.

Another two weeks go by until I had some time off work and I decided to fix what I could myself. Reconnected my phones all back up to the back of my face plate myself, working perfect. Decided to investigate the internet connection. I knew the 'engineer' had done something dodgy here also as the incoming drop wire looked a lot shorter than it did before. Remove faceplate fully from the wall and discover the 'engineer' (laughable to even call them that) had decided to tie the incoming drop wire to the faceplate in a double knot at the back of the socket. I know he did this as previously the wire had some slack and ran along the skirting board nice and flat and even to the socket. Carefully undo that. Reconnect it all back up and internet speed increases to 3Mb upload and 6Mb download. Not the success I was hoping.

Estimate given at sign up was 60.2Mb download and 20Mb upload. Ring BT again, told again it is within spec. I persist and have an engineer come out. I am warned by the Indian call centre and I quote 'this could cost up to £100'.

Engineer arrives 3 days later, says the faceplate is faulty. Replaces faceplate but speeds remain unchanged, he then performs other tests and discovers that a wire incoming is damaged and actually states 'It looks like at some point it had been severely bent'. I tell him yes that was your colleague who came to install my Infinity who decided to tie a knot in the incoming drop wire.  He denies that any other engineer would tie a drop wire in a knot and walks off to his van. He then proceeds in replacing the cable.

Nearly two hours after he first arrived everything is done and it is the moment of truth. Powers on the modem, looking good it at least connects first time now. I plug in my laptop to the hub. At this stage he starts looking at his watch and says 'Right all should be fine now' and he starts to try to leave. I tell him 'oh no no no, lets test it before you run off'.

Run tests at speedtest.net, no change. His attitude now is becoming quite a bit moody, walks out to his van again actually swears under his breath quietly (I still heard it) as he crosses the road to get to his van.

Comes back with another bit of gear, plugs that into the socket and this confirms the speed is still 6Mb download and 3Mb upload.

He then trys to phone some automated thing to get the line reset, only for the automated message to say something along the lines of 'unable to process request at this time'. He slams his giant handset done on my window ledge now fuming. Says there is nothing I can do and leaves.

One week later I get my bill in. I have been charged in excess of £160 for this "work".

Phone BT again to complain, told again everything is fine and the broadband will rise on its own accord within a week, told I can not have a refund as it was 'critical work' that needed to be carried out. Er yes it was critical because your original engineer damaged things and it still is critical because the second monkey could not fix things properly.

Three more weeks go by and phone now develops a fault and is noisy. OH JOY!

Ring BT, am shocked they actually admit it is a problem and automatically schedule an engineer. I query "am I going to be billed again" to be told "No sir, it is a fault external to your property at the exchange of cabinet".

Two days later I see the engineer at the bottom of my road at the cabinet. He is there for about 45 minutes, once gone phone line is clear.... Hooray they actually fixed something I think.

Aprrox another week later next months bill arrives and guess what...... Oh yes you got it right, ive been billed again. Call centre inept again, lied to again. Another £85.40 for this work.

Phone and complain again, support worker looks through the computer, apologises but says that the charge will remain incurred.

I query my broadband again which is still stuck at 6Mb down 3Mb up. DLM has done nothing to it even after all their "REPAIRS" and they offer to send another engineer. I obviously after the last £160 bill for "cough, splutter" broadband fault repair work decline.

So there you go BT the communications company that leaves you with no phone extensions working, wants to bill you at every opportunity, Calls "Superfast FTTC" 6Mb down and 3Mb as perfectly acceptable.

I would complain more to them and keep getting them to send engineers but I can not afford it. Monday morning I am off to Virgin, paying off the remainder of my BT contract and then rather than try to communicate with them filling a small claims action.

To think I once had shares in this shambolic mess of an organisation and have been a customer for over 30 years and thought they were an honest decent firm now just seems laughable.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 22

Re: Horrid Infinity experience

Another victim of a cowboy install 😞
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
shambolic
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Cowboy install it may have been initially, which escalated in to **bleep** Turpin like robbery to fix (Only it is not fixed) his cowboy install is a bigger problem.

The organisation is a joke top to bottom. The second engineer which came was not a contractor he most definately was a trained BT engineer, just a grummy one because stuff was taking too long, could not fix it and had me pestering him to do so as i knew i was going to be billed.

Two engineers have failed, the call centres have failed in assitance, lied and fobbed me off and the billing department is utter greed... The organisation does not care one bit about its customers and small claims is the only way to deal with such robbery from such a despicable company.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

The forum moderators will get involved in this post as soon as they read your post they will post there reply and give you a contact link to them

Please do not send them a personal message, as your message will not be tracked properly.also the mod you personal message may not be on duty for some time and that will delay your help further.  

mod contact.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Hi Shambolic,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your BT Infinity. I would like to look into this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the link found in the "About Me" section of my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 22

On a postive note as i have to be positive to be allowed to post at least you were able to fix your phone extensions and save being billed an additional hundred notes.  Not sure i would have been brave enough to try and wire anything like that up.

Why they billed you for work for a fault with their equipment (re: the phone noise problem which was traced and fixed at cabinet and not in your home at all) i have no idea, perhaps the staff will be able to offer some wisdom to you on that.

Regarding the £160 fee for the broadband call out and that not being fixed. I have no idea on that either, cost for replacement drop wire maybe? Then again replacing that did not solve the broadband issue and it was them that damaged it in the first place so could be argued it was un-necessary work and also their responsibility for the damage.

Sounds like you had a horrid time, i would normally say Virgin are no better and to avoid them, but being as positive as i can be i do not see how things could get any worse for you from any other provider.

One thing i can say which will sound negative but it is based on experience is that even if you got them to acknowledge you should not had been charged is you still are unlikely (not impossible but unlikely) to get a physical refund, instead they tend to credit the bill and i suspect after what you have been through you have no interest in that or monitoring it to make sure it is all credited correctly and balances out over time. Of course if you interested in the credit bill route staff here or contacting higher powers at BT may be able to do that for you.

I trust this post is constructive enough and other readers will have no issue with the sensible advice it offers.

0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 22

@PaddyB wrote:

Hi Shambolic,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your BT Infinity. I would like to look into this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the link found in the "About Me" section of my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

He does say Monday he is off to Virgin so i suspect the very kind offer of help may be too late.

If he actually has an appontment with Virgin and he cancels for you to very kindly look in to this issue, Virgin just as BT would are likely to bill him for cancellation and while that would not be BTs fault i doubt he needs another big bill right now.

It should also be noted for the poster concerned and this is not being negative or unhelpful, staff such as your kind self do have quite a bit of work on their hands at the moment so he should be aware if you do kindly look into things it will unlikely be instantly solved. Though maybe i am wrong and you can instantly authorise refunds.

I only mention all the above for the user to be aware of potential side affects in getting the issue resolved and no other reason. It is not meant to be taken negatively. It is just to illuminate his options.

0 Ratings
shambolic
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

Thank you all for the replies.

@Paddy

Are you BT staff? If so is there another way to contact you directly as i do not trust giving account or personal details to anyone on the internet. I will not even shop online so no matter how many assurances i get you are who you say you are, unless i know that im not handing out my phone number, account number and anything else im likely to have to provide.

If you look in to this problem how long is it likely to take for my broadband speed to be increased to anything near the estimates i was given?

If an engineer has to attend what assurances can you give me that i will not be billed any further for any other work?

How long is it likely to take for you to look in to what i was charged and have this refunded?

I have been fobbed off for months, billed when told i would not be and lied to already so forgive me if i am not very patient. I do not want to wait and currently have total and utter distrust of anything BT tell me.

@Paradox

Yes the Virgin visit is an actual appointment for Monday. Do you know what the charge will be if i cancel the installation?

Yep no idea how they can get away with charging me for work at their cabinet and not in my home or why i was billed for the home visit to fix broadband but in return just got a grumpy, swearing engineer that solved nothing at all.

Perhaps if Paddy can explain what those charges were likely to have been for in the first place i may have more trust and cancel the Virgin visit.  Otherwise no ill be glad to be gone from BT and to Virgin, file the small claims on Monday also. To be honest the deal i have been offered for 120Mb from Virgin even if BT could now put my connection right is pretty good, it would take a lot to convince me to give BT yet another chance. Horrid experience.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Hi Shambolic,

Yes that is correct I am a BT employee and I'm one of the forum moderation team. If you take a look Here it give you a few more details about the forum moderation team and what we do.

I would need to take a look at your account before I could say for sure what has gone on. It does sound like you have been through a bit of a nightmare recently. The link in my profile is a secure "contact us" web forum and this allows you to send your details securely through to BT. Once I have your details I'll be able to take a look at your details and I'll be able to investigate those charges.

If you don't want to send me through those details using the web form you can also PM me.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 22

@shambolic. All the mods are members of the BT Care team whiich is a small dedicated team based in Northern Island who have a very good track record of getting things done.

They will normally reply to the form you submit within 54 days.

They will take personal ownership of your issue and keep you fully imformed until resolution.

I would take Paddy up on his offer of help.

0 Ratings