Re: Horrid Infinity experience

Oooops, quite right Keith.

0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 13 of 22

You should not have been charged.

In my case, I did actually have a contractor carry out the work, and they left me without my extensions working due to old star-wiring. He basically fobbed me off, so rather than argue with him, I was polite, he left, then I simply phoned up BT.

Got a nice person who opened up a fault and a nice Openreach engineer turned up and put things right.

Although in my case, the broadband was functioning perfectly, and he didn't twist the dropwire around, but he still left me without my extensions.

The point is, I was not charged for it at all, and you shouldn't be either.

Although maybe it's due to the level of the work? My work only required some back-wiring using existing cabling. Perhaps they are charging you for the replaced dropwire (although, don't we pay enough line rental, and isn't that side of the master socket BT's responsibility?)

0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 22

@shambolic wrote:
....@Paradox

Yes the Virgin visit is an actual appointment for Monday. Do you know what the charge will be if i cancel the installation?

Yep no idea how they can get away with charging me for work at their cabinet and not in my home or why i was billed for the home visit to fix broadband but in return just got a grumpy, swearing engineer that solved nothing at all.

Perhaps if Paddy can explain what those charges were likely to have been for in the first place i may have more trust and cancel the Virgin visit.  Otherwise no ill be glad to be gone from BT and to Virgin, file the small claims on Monday also. To be honest the deal i have been offered for 120Mb from Virgin even if BT could now put my connection right is pretty good, it would take a lot to convince me to give BT yet another chance. Horrid experience.

Cancellation of Virgin install is likely to cost anything between £50-200 probably around the £100 mark but that is only a guesstimate. You would need to ask Virgin for a concrete figure or it may be on any paperwork you have from them in small print.

Im going to risk being banned here in which to offer some advice to you which may be seen as negative, but it is honest as far as i know....

Not to be disrespectful to Paddy but even if the charges can be explained and they may well be explainable there is no way of explaining why you were told you would NOT be charged for the noise fault and then you were. You have been a vicim of poor service with regards to that IMO. There is no other explanation apart from being lied to when you called them and they promised you would not be charged with the response "No sir, it is a fault external to your property at the exchange of cabinet".

As it has been "a few months" since the initial install and multiple charges have taken place as wonderful as PaddyB may be and all the staff here are, that would have to be looked in to first.  Possibly even internally investigated as to what exactly has gone on. How long it could take i can not say you would have to contact PaddyB. I would be highly suprised if it would be cleared up by Monday. It may be a few days or go on for months while its all investigated. Again though and anyone corrected me if wrong as i do not want to come across as negative any refund is likely to be in credit form to your bill. I personally have never heard of BT sending a sorry note and a cheque for in correct charging, though i imagine it is possible.

Your broadband which is the second problem which needs to be rectified will also unlikely be dealt with instantly. The staff are very busy working their way through many customer problems at this moment in time. I myself have been waiting for 1.5 weeks come Monday for a broadband issue. Unless they make your case a priority due to the experience you have had i would estimate the wait time to get the broadband issue looked at would be a similar time frame. Again though you may be an exception to the wait in line system as the experience has been poor.

I hope that at least gives some very rough idea on how long things may take. I would recommend contacting Paddy, im pretty confident the staff here do work for BT but understand your concern as technically speaking it can not be proven easily on here. You could phone BT again if you need re-assurance and ask if the staff on their own forum are indeed employed by BT. I personally believe they are.

My advice give them a chance PM Paddy ask how long it is all likely to take as no guideline has been given here publically by him (which to be fair is kinda understandable) and make up your mind from there. Get some commitment on how long it is going to take first and get that in some written form, then if it still drags on you have something other than a he said, she said argument of what occured in a phone conversation.

Hopefully staff are around on here during Sundays and you can get a response in time to decide to give BT a chance or go with you plan of Virgin install and small claims action.

Good luck.

shambolic
Beginner
Message 15 of 22

Thank you all for the responses and the extreme detail paradox went to with his reply.

After due consideration last night, sleeping on it and today thinking about it. I have decided not to proceed in giving them another chance to rectify the issue.

3-5 days before I get a response which several people referred to, just is not good enough after what I have been through.

It was tough decision as im sure after what was stated staff here would help, but another 5+ days after months of agony just to get a response any form I complete has been received is just too long for myself.

The fact that after looking in to it if I cancelled my Virgin install I would have to pay the normal install charge of £49.95 for broadband in addition to a cancellation charge also did not help either.

That combined with as paradox pointed out the fact I more than a single issue which will have to be looked at and individually, that being billed for work which is not my fault and the broadband speed problem.  The lead time on one of them before it is investigated being another week or more, plus whatever time and fight I would have to get any money back and I have decided it is not worth the hassle of trying to argue with anyone at BT anymore.

Even more so if it were only a credit on the bill. It would take me years to rack up over £240, which is the amount owned from the two incorrect billings in phone calls, by itself that is over a years line rental. I prefer not to be drip fed what is mine. I did look around other forums and it does appear that crediting bills is the way any overcharging is dealt with.

If I could leave staff here with advice to report back to the powers, it would be get rid of the Indian call centre, which have no and I mean NO idea what they are talking about. Get rid of contractors which are bodging installations, get shot of actual trained engineers that want to run away from a job because it is taking to long, tricky to solve and get easily frustrated because they can not fix it.

Oh and a single point of contact for billing issues would not go amiss either. Every time I even wanted to discuss my bill I either got pushed to another department, told to call another number or just fobbed off being told "the charge will remain" without even being allowed to speak to anyone in a higher position. Even when I could speak to someone other than the person that initially answers the call I would then have to go over my months of torture and charges over and over. 

So in short thank you all for your advice and the staff member for the offer of help but ive decided to go with which will probably be the quicker and easier route and that is change provider, and file small claims for my money back, that process will likely take less than the months i have been battling for it. Virgin also have a 28 days grace period should you not want the service once hooked up.... If BT had something like that it would had saved me a big headache as it was a shambles from the start.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 22

Cancellation of a Virgin install does not cost a penny.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Your best chance of avoiding large cancellation fees, and being able to recover the charges, is to allow the moderator to sort this out.

They have an excellent record of resolving these issues.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

I fully agree with Keith's comments but it is your choice of course
0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 22

I think you have made the best decision shambolic, ultimately staff here may well solve the situation and be very helpful but if it were me in your shoes i would not want to spend days, weeks or even months more trying to solve it either. Why should you when nobody listened in the first place.

Do not be put off with any comment about small claims action not being the best way to go about getting a refund either. It probably is.

It is a very quick and easy process nowadays, far quicker and easy than going round in circles on a phone trying to argue your case. I have personally previously had to use small claims against a different ISP (NOT BT or Virgin) who refused to admit i had been overcharged, once it is filed you basically have to do nothing, and if they do challenge it i imagine you can easily show with phone records, speed tests and other evidence you have collected over time that the charges were wrong and the service was below an expected level. Print any speed tests should you have to go to court, i doubt any small claims will deem 3Mb upload and 6Mb download are normal for a service that quoted you ten times that speed.

Good luck in any decisions you do make.

0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 22

@pippincp wrote:

Cancellation of a Virgin install does not cost a penny.

Yes it does, and the charge will vary depending on what services he had ordered (bundle deal, just broadband etc), if the property had previously had their product and if it were a manned or quick start install required to get him up and running. SHambolic should be able to find all that info on their myorders web page at Virgin, or any paperwork he has been sent. (will depend if it was a web order or phone order as to what he has).

Cancellation charges also apply should they cancel the service after 28 days, again costs of that should be detailed on their myorders page or his paperwork or at the worst burried in Virgin FAQs.

Either way if he gives BT a chance somewhere down the line he would have to pay a cancellation charge to Virgin. He basically has to decided which situation does he want. Argue it out with BT which could be a quick or  a long process, or go to Virgin and then argue it out with BT.

My in-laws had Virgin up until about 6 months ago. They had to pay for some services to be cancelled but not others. Cancel charges will depend on products Shambolic has gone for, which is why i never gave a fixed cost it is likely to be for them.

0 Ratings