cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

House alarm causing slow speeds

I’ve just had a house alarm installed. It’s connected to the master socket so it can make call’s to the police if someone breaks in. 

ive noticed that since the alarm has been connected to the master socket, my speed has decreased from 40 mb to 20mb. Why has this happened? The alarm doesn’t use the internet at all so why has my speed decreased?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: House alarm causing slow speeds

has it been connected to the incoming openreach wiring on terminals A&B as that will certainly cause broadband problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

How could it be connected to the incoming wire? I can check just to make sure
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

the terminals A&B are on the back plate of the master socket and that is where the incoming openreach cable will be connected 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

So I’ve checked and the incoming wire is terminated to A and B.

Then the wires from the alarm are also connected to A and B too. 

so why would this be causing slower speed?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

yes   need to get alarm company to sort it

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

What if I connect them to 2 and 5?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

as long as filtered master socket then connecting to 2&5 will work 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I'm surprised alarm companies are still connecting to the copper service considering it will be redundant in 4 yrs.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

OP - what are you going to do after 2025 when PSTN services are withdrawn?  I would have thought any new alarm installation would be using an IP based connection.