cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

House only has an old phone line socket - does an engineer need to install new socket for broadband?

Go to solution

Basic question I imagine...

I'm trying to get fibre broadband for my mother-in-law (who lives 200 miles from me). I imagine she only has a single old phone line socket. If I order fibre broadband for her will an engineer have to enter the property and fit a new socket?

I have Virgin fibre, and they had to drill a hole in wall, but I understand they are the only ones who do this.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: House only has an old phone line socket - does an engineer need to install new socket for broadb

Go to solution

@helpmeplease1 

Welcome to this user forum.

Are you going to order broadband from BT Retail?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: House only has an old phone line socket - does an engineer need to install new socket for broadb

Go to solution

Hi Keith

If you mean order online, then yes 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@helpmeplease1 wrote:

Hi Keith

If you mean order online, then yes 🙂

BT define fibre as either FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre to the premises).

Its most likely going to be FTTC, if she has an existing phone line. That would be self-install, with no visit.

Does she already have an existing working phone line from BT Retail?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Keith

She does have a working line from BT retail - albeit probably installed in the 80s (guess)

So it would be FTTC. I did speak a while ago to someone at BT who said you just plug it into your existing phone line, but then I looked online and saw people with BT sockets that appeared to have a ethernet socket and a phone socket. Really didn't want to leave it to chance as she relies on her phone.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Enter your mother's phone number and post results. Remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@helpmeplease1 wrote:

Thanks Keith

She does have a working line from BT retail - albeit probably installed in the 80s (guess)

So it would be FTTC. I did speak a while ago to someone at BT who said you just plug it into your existing phone line, but then I looked online and saw people with BT sockets that appeared to have a ethernet socket and a phone socket. Really didn't want to leave it to chance as she relies on her phone.

A single phone socket is fine. A microfilter is supplied which plugs into that single phone socket, and then the phone and the BT Home hub plugs into that filter.

The filter looks similar to this.

Capture.JPG

The only complication would be if she had more than one phone that was plugged into an extension socket, as that would also need a filter on it.

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to do this Keith. I've ordered. Regards!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
A single phone socket is fine - a microfilter will be supplied with the Smart Hub.
0 Ratings