Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBManager
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

How can I get BT Openreach to talk to BT Hepdesk

Morning all,

I have an ongoing fault with my BT Infinity connection that has been going on for just over a week now.

To cut a long story short, my connection is working in that the BT Helpdesk can connect to my Hub (HH3) at full speed (circa 55Mbps) but I can not surf / download emails etc.   The bt speedtest reported results of 0.00 (!) d/l and 0.04 u/l.

I had an engineer booked for Monday (23rd), but cancelled this when the connection seemed to be working on Saturday.  ( It was faulty again on Sunday ).

I had a call from a a local (I guess OpenReach?) engineer on Monday ( he's seen my fault logged, and just was informing me on the problem ).

He said it was a know issue on my estate at the moment.  It's the throughput that is limited somehow.  Attempts have been made to rectify this, but neither have lasted very long.

I can't find any mention of this issue on the BT site.

I've got an engineers visit booked for Friday ( 27th ) as the Helpdesk say everything is working with their network, so it must be an internal issue to me.  I'm covinced it's not, especially after the engineers phone call.

So we seem to be at an impass now.  BT think it's my issue. I think it's an OpenReach issue.

My concern is I don't want to pay the £129.99 fee if they manage to fix it, say on Thursday evening, and nothing is found during the site visit.

Any suggestions how I can/should proceed ?

Dave.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: How can I get BT Openreach to talk to BT Hepdesk

Is your problem over wireless or wired ?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
BBManager
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I connect to the hub using both methods.

Neither are giving the results I'd expect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Do you have any other devices connected to the homehub that you can check to see how they perform?

Make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if it connects and allows you to surf etc. If it does you will know it is a faulty hub.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
BBManager
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the reply.

I connect with a desktop PC (wired), laptop ( both wired & wireless ), android phones & tablet ( wireless ).  All are performing equally abysmally.

I've not connected directly to the modem as you describe.  However, a colleague at work has replaced his BT kit with a Draytec model/router, so I borrowed his old BT kit ( modem, HH3 and cables ) and got the same results.

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 13

I recommend you try the direct connection to the modem as advised to rule out problems with the HH3
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If you've replaced modem,hub etc it would tend to indicate fault outside your house either at exchange or lines. Guess you will need to wait and see what engineer finds.
0 Ratings
BBManager
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I'm convinced it's not a problem inside my premises.

Obviously if I spot it's been fixed before Fridays planned visit by an engineer, I can call it off, but there's a list of reasons why they may still charge ( one of them being less than 1 'working' days notice, tricky given the 2 day bank holiday ).

My concern is that BT are unaware of  (or unwilling to admit to ) a fault, be it local or more wide spread, and it will be fixed, maybe late Thursday / early Friday, by the time the engineer visits,  and thus I incur a £129.99 fee.

If it's still not working on Friday when the engineer visits, I don't have that problem (though I'll be miffed it's still not fixed!).

Dave

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 13

If you incur a charge or not depends on the report that the engineer submits.

ie., Was there a fault with your connection or was it an internal problem (your equipment).

If as you indicate, the engineers know it is a problem with your estate's connection then even if they've resolved it you will not be charged and the engineers visit will most likely be cancelled anyway.

BT will not charge you unless Openreach charge them.

0 Ratings
BBManager
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for the insight.

Connection still pants, so expecting engineer to either call or visit in the morning.

Will keep you posted.     Dave

0 Ratings