cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

How can I get BT fiber?

So I'm moving to a new property soon, first time buyer of a new-build house, and I wanted to take BT super-fiber with me as have really enjoyed it thusfar

I'm actually going to put the address here so people can help me out and run their own checks using various online tools, if I get spammed I don't really care, I'm at my wits end as it is!

So I checked a while back to see if my new post-code (LE2 5AD) could accommodate super-fast broadband, the availability checker said yes. When I called up to say I was moving house (to 33 of specified post-code) I was told, that's false I have to get normal broadband. The operator explicitly said to me (during my first call, there have been MANY) that it's standard for BT to rebuff requests for super-fast broadband, until the property had at least installed regular broadband. Then from there, they can check that the fibre is available

I did some address-level checks for LE2 5AD. No. 31 can get fibre, no. 35 can get fibre - but no. 33 (in the middle) cannot!? Seems insane

So I talked to my Dad, who reached a respected position within the company (the main point here is not to name-wave, it's that he worked many different roles in the company and knows 'what's what'). He said that usually, what you have is fibre to the street cabinet (which he thinks is installed) and then copper to the houses down the street (so even when you get fibre, it's not fibre all the way). What he said to me was that, it sounds as if the cabinet is at 100% capacity (he used the term' 100% utilised') for fibre, so therefore - even though fibre factually is 'in my area', I can't have any!

This seems drastic and woefully unfair to me. I really need help on, how can I push to get more capacity installed into the cabinet, so that I can have fibre. I want to give BT more money, that is my only wish :') (sorry)

When houses around and surrounding me have fibre and fibre IS in my area, it seems a tad unfair that no one will do the last bit of effort to expand the utility of my cabinet, so that I can pay more money for better broadband

What can I do in this situation?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: How can I get BT fiber?

A post code check and address check is not very reliable. The post code can cover more than one cabinet and the address checker is only of any use if the address has had broadband/FTTC.

If there was no capacity at the cabinet it would say that there was a waiting list.

Do the other two addresses you checked have FTTC installed? 

You will probably have to get a phone line first and order broadband then you will more than likely then be to order fibre broadband.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

if it's a new build house are you sure it is not FTTP - fibre to the premises as against what you father suggests FTTC  have you checked with the developer to see if openreach have installed the fibre to your new home

if you enter your post code on checker unfortunately is shows no fibre but post codes are a rough guide and not very accurate  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome#

I would certainly start with developer first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thank you for your kind reply! yes your suggestion that, I have to get normal broadband first and then apply fir fibre mirrors what the first advisor told me. It also mirrors my experience at my current property. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any way that I myself can propel things forwards

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 13

It would appear you may be in an FTTP area based on the following (look at BB speed).

2019-08-01 15_55_35-CodeLook.png

Give the FTTP team a ring for further info. 0800 587 4787

If new build contact the developer.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Thank you for your response, it does seem as if this may be a good line of getting things moving. Stupid thing is, even if it is the developer's fault I do have some resources I could offer to help get things set up
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 13

Keep us updated please.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Hey all. I have done some research and, apparently FTTP is usually for larger businesses, properties and developments. It's very costly and not something that an individual resident would engage in, however for a heavy user like me, the low and of it may be considerable (not necessarily the most appropriate, but something I could 'consider')

Usually for developments like mine (a few new build houses down a street, by a small developer) the main thing I should have is FTTC

Since other properties (35, 31) can get fiber without FTTP, they are evidently using FTTC connections. This is something I know now

So it goes back again to, FTTC is there and some seem to be using it, but just not my particular property. Once again it does hint that FTTC is in operation but the cabinet is currently at maximum fiber capacity (d'oh!)

Not really fair still IMO, just needs more cable stuffed into it (NOT a big ask!)

So now, I have found this URL:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first#FibrecheckerX

It turns out the openreach tool is far superior to BT's consumer-facing tool. If you put in my address (LE2 5AD, the number of the house is 33) then it says I don't need to worry as FTTC is coming 'soon'. I'd still like a date on that though, but again have become stuck

Also don't seem to be able to find any advice on, how I might offer BT something to complete the cabinet. I'm not unreasonable, not completely adverse to at least talking about it. But there's NO options
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

there is nothing you can do to get openreach to either install a new FTTC cab or to get openreach to upgrade existing  FTTC cabinet

Looks like the way forward is to get phone line installed first then you will appear on the dslchecker which will then enable you to get FTTC assuming there is space on your cabinet

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome#

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

FTTPoD is for businesses, WBC FTTP is residential at the same price as FTTC for a given product and is a different product altogether.

0 Ratings