cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noshomatic
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

How can I get my circuit re-routed to a new Fibre cabinet?

Hi,

We are banging our heads against a wall over this: we have had a new fibre cabinet installed about 200m away, next to an existing copper cabinet (Cabinet 5) which serves most of the village except us. That's because we have an unusual circuit right back to the exchange in Eye (EAEYE), some 2.5 miles away. For this reason, every time we try to upgrade to fibre or even faster ADSL, line tests always show that we're not enabled and it's impossible. Talking to Openreach gets us nowhere: they say to contact the service provider, and the service provider says "no" as it appears we can't get fibre of decent ADSL.

We desperately just need our circuit cutting and connecting to the local cabinet, so we can go through the usual ISP upgrade process. How can we get Openreach to understand this and do it?

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: How can I get my circuit re-routed to a new Fibre cabinet?

Openreach, who provide the infrastructure, will not change your routing, its as simple as that.

If you are on an EO cable, all you can hope for is possibly a cabinet outside of the exchange, but at 2.5 miles, its not going to make any difference.

Block66b
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

They won't do it.... Certainly not if you're on an EOL, E-Side cables are pressurised and you can't just open them up because you could potentially knock thousands of people off and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage........
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

As Per Openreach site

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

Can I change my exchange only (EO) line connection so that it goes via a cabinet?

We are busy looking at solutions to provide Fibre service to EO lines via existing cabinets as well as creating new cabinets for EO lines. The network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. Exchange Only lines, by their very nature, are not connected to green telephony cabinets, instead being connected via their own bespoke fixed link directly to the local exchange.

See link

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 26

As above, you cannot be rerouted to another cab by request, per the quote from @gg30340.

However, up here, there have been numerous properties getting rerouted to other cabs automatically so that the properties can receive fibre services as they were connected to a cab that wouldn't get fibre for a long time.

They might eventually reroute you to the nearer cab, but it's all dependent on whether it's viable to do it and who is specifically doing the rollout (eg Openreach directly, or one of the contractors). Don't get your hopes up for that happening to you though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

@SuperSajuuk wrote:

However, up here, there have been numerous properties getting rerouted to other cabs automatically so that the properties can receive fibre services as they were connected to a cab that wouldn't get fibre for a long time.

They might eventually reroute you to the nearer cab, but it's all dependent on whether it's viable to do it and who is specifically doing the rollout (eg Openreach directly, or one of the contractors). Don't get your hopes up for that happening to you though.

Do you have any verifiable evidence of this happening and who did it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 26

@gg30340 I obviously didn't take any screenshots (since it's other people's properties) as I obviously didn't expect a thread like this to show up, but I had been checking addresses for different properties that had been connected to Cabinet 1 for a long time (even at the time of Cabinet 3 being activated on my exchange, they were still on cab 1).

One day recently (can't have been more than a few months ago that this happened), they were all showing up as being connected to Cabinet 3 and were able to order Infinity (cab 1 won't get any sniff of an upgrade until late next year and cab 3 was live from this time last year (Nov 2014) as cab 1 is considered a "complicated cabinet" to upgrade). I know that the local primary school was connected to cabinet 1 (and always has been), but now has been connected to cabinet 3.

The telecom tariffs site even showed that lots of properties close to cab 1 (and were reported on cab 1) were no longer showing up on cab 1, but on cab 3 instead. Cab 1 now shows a very small number of properties (even properties which are technologically closer to cab 1 (and were also recorded as being connected to cab 1) have now been rerouted to cab 3 to provide them with a fibre service) connected to it (based on the map on telecom tariffs), rather than a vast majority of properties that were connected there.

I don't know who did it, but I would have to assume that the people managing the rollout for this area (HIE Digital) asked KN Network Services (the contractor who is rolling out all fibre services here) to move them over so they could get more people onto Infinity and increase uptake of the service, so that those on cab 1 don't have to wait for years to get the service that one half of the town closest to the exchange already received.

Presumably, this was done because the one half of the town which were connected to the live cab were mostly older people who most likely didn't upgrade to the service to receive a better speed (and probably don't even care) and the other half was where most of the "internet heavy" users are located, so they were rerouted to provide them this service.

Source for claims can be seen here:

* http://www.hie.co.uk/regional-information/digital-highlands-and-islands/faqs.html

* Actual research of other addresses using publically available information

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

So in other words No you don't have any verifiable evidence it is just speculation and guess work by you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

@SuperSajuuk

Why don't older people need a fast internet connection? -  I do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 26

@gg30340 -redacted-

@imjolly I'm not saying ALL older people don't need a fast speed, each area of the country is different. I'm just saying that, in our case (aka our exchange), a lot of people getting their connections moved over to another cab implies that, for our exchange, means that uptake was very low so they needed to "boost the numbers".

0 Ratings