cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How can my FFTP ONC installed in July finally be activated?

ONC modem was installed by Openreach engineer on 21st July. She connected the ONC to an unactivated 'node' (?not sure if that's the word she used) 3m from my window instead of the suggested cabinet 50m away. Since then, BT and I speak at frequencies between weekly and monthly to try to solve why my FTTP is still not activated. I am told by BT customer services that the addressing at Openreach is incorrect and that this issue has been escalated twice (by BT to Openreach). I have been promised that 'escalations' would resolve the issue at each date but somehow it never happens. 

I continue to limp long with my old 'landline' Broadband, but my work is now being affected. I took a professional exam online on 27th Sept which required 1.5 Mbps upload speed... mine was 0.4 Mbps, requiring emergency use of my mobile hotspot and an hour lost from my exam time due to troubleshooting by the online proctor service. I require to perform data uploads totalling ~200MB daily. This can occupy at least 1 hr of my working time- as my internet doesn't cut out on the way, in which case 1.5 hrs is more typical. 

Is there anyway out of this tennis match between BT and Openreach that others can advise? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How can my FFTP ONC installed in July finally be activated?

Its an ONT and it doesn't connect to a cabinet under any circumstances. She would not have connected it to somewhere at random on a whim, it would be where the network build dictated it to be connected. It sounds as though there may be a problem with the backhaul infrastructure preventing activation. The only people you can speak to is the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787, which I presume you are already doing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I’d hazard a guess she’s connected you to an unlit Port on the CBT.

CBT’s have upwards of 12 Ports but not all of them are lit up. Openreach only light up enough based on how many premises that CBT is planned to provide service to.

Why that Port isn’t lit I don’t know, could be a whole list of different reasons.

Either way you’ll have to persist with the FTTP Team. That or make a Complaint to the Chairman’s Office, that always seems to get things moving along these days.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I appreciate your feedback- thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi and thank you both for your feedback.

My update today is that BT FTTP support (0800 180 151) tell me that my issue was due to a literal mismatch in my address registered by BT and Openreach, which was resolved today.

I live in a Scottish tenement flat, where addressing conflicts are common. Here, '1F2, 18 Any Street' is the same flat as  '1FL, 18 Any Street', 'Flat 3, 18 Any Street' or '18/3 Any Street'. 

I am told that my addresses in BT and Openreach now agree so I was OK to be passed to Sales to make a new upgrade order.  Sales say "Computer Says No" to the fact that I already have both ONC and SmartHub 2 already, and I have to wait 3 wks for an engineer to visit to connect me.

I am disappointed by a further 3 wk wait while I try to WFH with a 0.4 Mbps upload speed, but apparently have been told by FTTP help staff and Sales that this is in fact excellent news for me.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

My apologies- it's an ONT.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@he1 

My apologies- it's an ONT.

As @licquorice already stated in post 2 of this thread. 😉

Just to clarify for future reference it's not FFTP but FTTP = Fibre To The Premises.

Sometimes known as FTTH Fibre To The Home. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings