cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mccann
Contributor
Message 11 of 49

Re: How could BT infinity ignore this area of London?

For about 5-6 weeks every time I checked the checker it returned the same info to me, however I knew the cab was powered as I could hear it humming when I was beside, alas last monday I checked again to be told I was connected to a WBC FTTC 🙂  Order placed.

Hang in there, its just a matter of time.

0 Ratings
bapiow
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 49

How could BT infinity ignore this area of London?

Think yourself lucky your near the BT infinity rollout.

Where I live the chances of getting this is 0, according to a open reach fitter!

Isle of Wight

0 Ratings
emma09
Beginner
Message 13 of 49

Yes, I do have a BT phone line.

Thanks for the checker. It  gives me the following info, which does not say anything about the Fibre. I wish I could know whether  BT infinity will be available in the near future or not( in a couple of months I mean). If not, I am planning to switch to other  ISP after my contract is over late this year. Thanks.

Btw, despite that theoretical speed is between 6.5M to 8 M, the actual speed is much lower than that(2M to 3M on average). In the peak time the download speed could drop to as low as 800K....So...seriously thinking of switching if I can't get infinity this year....

"For Telephone Number 020****** on Exchange POPLAR

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6Mbps and 10Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 8Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 7Mbps and 9Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

..."

0 Ratings
Paulos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 49

I'm on the Isle of Dogs and got Infinity last week. Those who live in the area know just how bad broadband speeds have been. Now the Poplar exchange has been upgraded the majority should be able to get Infinity but there will be some who cant and I really feel for them as they will be even more in the dark ages.

Worth writing to the Docklands free newspaper as they were headlining a campaign to get high speed broadband in the area. If enough people stand up they might do something to cover those aren't able to get Infinity at present. There has been a large takeup, engineer said he was doing 6 or 7 a day. Very pleased with my connection at present, it took only about 20 mins to install.

Poplar exchange
0 Ratings
emma09
Beginner
Message 15 of 49

Hi Paulos, thanks for your information. Lucky infinity is in your area, congratulations!

What my understanding is although the Poplar exchange has be upgraded and most area are infinity ready,  I happen to live in one of a few high rise in South Quay that do not get infinity....If my local exchange was not rolled out at the moment, I could still wait for the next chance. Now it seems that we've been put in a even worse situation... Now I only want to know if or  not BT is going to provide fibre in my area this year....

Thanks

0 Ratings
Paulos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 49

You would have thought South Quay would have been one of the more up-to-date areas with Canary Wharf being a stone's throw away and the businesses based there. I heard that BT or openreach were going to find a solution for those that couldn't get Infinity for technical reasons. Hopefully you'll get decent broadband in one form or another soon.

Poplar exchange
0 Ratings
richierich
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 49

Evening guys... Living in Boardwalk Place next to Billingsgate Market been following news about fibre internet for past two years. Unfortunately I am still strugling with BT Total Broadband & evening speeds around 1 mbit/s. The BT website saying that Infinity is already available at Isle of Dogs... But that's not truth, at least not in my area. Just wondering how long do we need to wait to get a normal speed & not a speed like in 3rd world countries.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1576/56842614.jpg
0 Ratings
david536
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 49

I called BT to see if March 31st was the earliest I could order fibre and imagine my surprise when I was told that there were no plans to upgrade Poplar for BT Infinity. I might call Dominoes next time as they can't fix my slow broadband, but at least I get a pizza with every call.

0 Ratings
robcuk
Beginner
Message 19 of 49

Something is going on.

Yesterday the Infinity checker was telling me that Poplar Exchange would be enabled (for my landline) on March 31st. Today it tells me there are no plans to roll out Infinity at this time!!

After 2 hours going from call centre to call centre I was assured by a vey nice man that March 31st was still the right date for me, however he had no idea why my number wasn't showing as Infinity enabled!

He did tell me that the rollout was likely to be delayed until late April though.

Rob

Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 49

This is because not every BT green street cabinet is enabled or can be enabled and they are certainly not all done at once they are upgraded in phases as they are upgraded they are then activated this applies at every exchange across the UK that is currently for infinity it is a matter of patience
0 Ratings