cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukjonnyboy
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

How do I get an old aluminium cable replaced?

I have been visited by an Openreach engineer who advised me my cable is very old and needed replacing. I spoke to BT who said my Broadband was above the min (20mbps) so they wouldn't do anything. I am paying for 76Mbps and my neigbour (on a better cable) gets 60+ Mbps

I spoke to Openreach directly as adivsed by the first engineer to raise a ticket and get the cable replaced, another engineer came out and said as it wasn't 'Damaged' they wouldn't do anything. Implying if I damaged it they would replace it....

Now I was happy to pay for the replacement but it seems no one wants to do anything about it apart from say its not their problem!

Who do I call?

My experiance with BT to date has been absoloutley awful and I will start anther thread about that.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: How do I get an old aluminium cable replaced?

it is openreach that are responsible for your line not BT Retail your ISP  unless there is a problem with your phone you are unlikely to get any cable replaced - openreach motto - if it's not broke don't fix it.  even if there is a phone problem - noisey line etc then only the piece causing the problem would be fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

Welcome to this user forum.

Openreach will not replace any cabling unless it has gone faulty.

As for you paying the cost, you are talking about at least a few hundred thousand pounds, plus all the compensation you would have to pay customers for loss of service.

Totally out of the question.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 25

You were willing to pay them to replace the cable.....

Can I ask how much you thought that might cost?
0 Ratings
Breed
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

You're only going to be able to replace the cable from the junction box at the top of the telegraph pole (or wherever it is) to your property. Hopefully that's the only section that's aluminium.

Getting it replaced without a voice fault will be exceptionally difficult. You've said you're willing to pay, so you're probably better off getting a second line put in, and then ceasing the first 😄

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 25

I don't think they have ever done Ali dropwires.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ukjonnyboy
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

Thanks for all the replies.

Hi if they put a second line in would they lay a new cable to the property, if so I will get this done.

The pole is directly outside my house and the ali cable goes down the pole and then underground to my property. Round 40 foot away.

It was the Openreach engineer who told me it was an original Ali cable from the top of the pole into my property, so I only have his word for it.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 25

I think "Ali cable" is no more than a convenient excuse for BT Openreach to use. It's their cable, they own it. They are able to fix it. Why is it your problem?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 25

If there is Ali cable from the DP to the external lead in on your house chances are there's also several hundred metres of Ali from the DP back towards to PCP......
0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 10 of 25

@ukjonnyboy wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.

Hi if they put a second line in would they lay a new cable to the property, if so I will get this done.

The pole is directly outside my house and the ali cable goes down the pole and then underground to my property. Round 40 foot away.

It was the Openreach engineer who told me it was an original Ali cable from the top of the pole into my property, so I only have his word for it.

Thanks again.

How did this pan out?  It's what I need too.  

One of the things I'd like to know about ordering a new line is can one ensure that they pull copper and not reuse spare aluminium.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings