cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: How do I get an old aluminium cable replaced?

@Sephiroth wrote:

One of the things I'd like to know about ordering a new line is can one ensure that they pull copper and not reuse spare aluminium.

You can't. If there is a spare line, Openreach will use that rather than run a new line.

0 Ratings
ukjonnyboy
Beginner
Message 12 of 25

Hi,

Well BT sent me a new router! my connection is continualy dropping out even after the new router. For some reason they cannot see this happening from their end! The connection speed is around 25 to 30mbps (I pay for 75) and my neighbour gets 75mbps (his line/cable is newer than mine). However I have been spoilt with 120mbps at the old house with Virgin and I should either get a refund or a new line if they can't deliver the speed.

So BT not willing to talk to Openreach & I quote "Nothing to do with the Line, but the fact that I have more than 2 devices connected!!!" its a joke!

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 13 of 25

@ukjonnyboy wrote:

Hi,

Well BT sent me a new router! my connection is continualy dropping out even after the new router. For some reason they cannot see this happening from their end! The connection speed is around 25 to 30mbps (I pay for 75) and my neighbour gets 75mbps (his line/cable is newer than mine). However I have been spoilt with 120mbps at the old house with Virgin and I should either get a refund or a new line if they can't deliver the speed.

So BT not willing to talk to Openreach & I quote "Nothing to do with the Line, but the fact that I have more than 2 devices connected!!!" its a joke!

Here's where we differ.  I certainly don't pay for 75.  When they free-upgraded me some time ago from 38/10 to 76/20, they told me what speed to expect at the higher frequency.  I suppose you could, on that basis, say that I'm paying for 59/20 (I'm getting 55/10) but certainly not the headline speed.

My entire point is that Aluminium cable is not fit for purpose particularly because impedance cannot be maintained and noise MUST occur because of micro-reflections.  It is built to fail.  Somewhere in that there is a basis for challenge.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
marion
Contributor
Message 14 of 25

My line has over 1km of aluminum cable , when it was put in over 40-50 -60 yrs ago, broadband wasnt invented.

Bt always say, as long as you get voice ok, tough.

Ive had openreach engineers here saying it needs replacing, they report to their bosses higher up, and its always a no.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ukjonnyboy
Beginner
Message 15 of 25

I would never of known that my cable was aluminium, however the Openreach engineer told me it was old and needed replacing. They also confirmed it only went as far as the top of the pole (to a box) and that I should contact my provider to get it replaced. I would happily pay for a new line to be installed if it was an option. Certainly the differnce between mine and my neighbours speed would indicate its worth doing.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 25

If it is purely the underground cable from the pole to your house that is aluminium and it is only a single pair, then a second line would necessitate a new cable. You would need to check if it is a multi pair cable. If the cable from the pole back towards your PCP is aluminium also, then its a whole different ballgame.

0 Ratings
ukjonnyboy
Beginner
Message 17 of 25

Not sure what a PCP is... but the engineer said it was just from the top of the pole down to the ground then back to the house. So I will make a call to get a second line installed and see how that pans out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 25

Check how many wires in the cable first.

PCP--Primary Connection Point (the green box) i.e the cable going back towards the exchange from the pole.

0 Ratings
GezTalbot
Beginner
Message 19 of 25

You cannot get aluminium cable replaced with a new copper cable unless you are a business customer and even then it is not easy to do!
The cost of replacing the cable could run in to thousands of pounds depending on how much aluminium cable there was within the network providing service to your property. Also doing so may not improve your line speed if you are a long way away from the exchange. BT used to provide aluminium cables in 0.5mm and 0.9mm conductor sizes, exchange side cables (those going from the local exchange to the cabinet) could be as small as 0.32mm. BT no longer uses any other conductor size other than 0.5mm and these are all copper cables.
Aluminium was used when there was a shortage of copper cable and if maintained correctly works perfectly fine (except for high bandwidth services), it is only when there are changes made to the metwork that problems can occur as alumium becomes brittle over time and breaks readily when touched. The only sure way of getting the aluminium cable feedinng your DP replaced by copper is if other customers fed from the same DP are having problems but BT would only change out the length of cable fro the nearest underground joint to the block on the pole.

Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 25

This thread is 8 months old. Why are you dragging up threads from the past?

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings