cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 21 of 25

Re: How do I get an old aluminium cable replaced?

@GezTalbot wrote:

You cannot get aluminium cable replaced with a new copper cable unless you are a business customer and even then it is not easy to do!
The cost of replacing the cable could run in to thousands of pounds depending on how much aluminium cable there was within the network providing service to your property. Also doing so may not improve your line speed if you are a long way away from the exchange. BT used to provide aluminium cables in 0.5mm and 0.9mm conductor sizes, exchange side cables (those going from the local exchange to the cabinet) could be as small as 0.32mm. BT no longer uses any other conductor size other than 0.5mm and these are all copper cables.
Aluminium was used when there was a shortage of copper cable and if maintained correctly works perfectly fine (except for high bandwidth services), it is only when there are changes made to the metwork that problems can occur as alumium becomes brittle over time and breaks readily when touched. The only sure way of getting the aluminium cable feedinng your DP replaced by copper is if other customers fed from the same DP are having problems but BT would only change out the length of cable fro the nearest underground joint to the block on the pole.

In my case it would be the 350m copper from pole DP to PCP.  The rest is fibre (FTTC).  It's really bad because it's copper to the pole DP; aluminium to the PCP; then copper to the DSLAM.  How many micro-reflection opportunities does that present (don't answer that!)?

My VM 200 meg circuit is flawless in terms of speed and reliability.  I'll prolly dump BT Infinity shortly.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 22 of 25

@GezTalbot wrote:

You cannot get aluminium cable replaced with a new copper cable unless you are a business customer and even then it is not easy to do!
The cost of replacing the cable could run in to thousands of pounds depending on how much aluminium cable there was within the network providing service to your property. Also doing so may not improve your line speed if you are a long way away from the exchange. BT used to provide aluminium cables in 0.5mm and 0.9mm conductor sizes, exchange side cables (those going from the local exchange to the cabinet) could be as small as 0.32mm. BT no longer uses any other conductor size other than 0.5mm and these are all copper cables.
Aluminium was used when there was a shortage of copper cable and if maintained correctly works perfectly fine (except for high bandwidth services), it is only when there are changes made to the metwork that problems can occur as alumium becomes brittle over time and breaks readily when touched. The only sure way of getting the aluminium cable feedinng your DP replaced by copper is if other customers fed from the same DP are having problems but BT would only change out the length of cable fro the nearest underground joint to the block on the pole.

First, distance from the exchange is immaterial as with VDSL it is distance from the cabinet that matters.

Second, the OP is talking about getting his dropwire replaced which if 2 core then getting a second line in would cure.

Still, this is an old thread so will never know the outcome.

0 Ratings
ukjonnyboy
Beginner
Message 23 of 25

It is an old thread, however the OUTCOME is that this is the first response I have had from anyone at BT, I have waited for the Virgin cable to come down the road and it should be here soon, then I will switch over to Virgin and finally acheive some proper speeds again. The BT service I have received has been truly shocking from the outset and I would NEVER recomend them. The sooner I can leave the better.

PS I have had 2 more engineers confirm that the cable from the top of the post outside my property and running into my property is the issue (its very very old and shouldve been replaced years ago!), however, having this replaced seems to be impossible, even though I have volounterred to dig the hole! I gave up at this point.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 25

@GezTalbot wrote:

BT no longer uses any other conductor size other than 0.5mm and these are all copper cables.

Bit incorrect. 0.6mm and 0.9mm both used as well as 0.5mm for last mile (DSide) and still smaller with some shorter exchange (eside) cables. 

0 Ratings
triphazard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 25

Indeed, Ali for example is 0.4
0 Ratings