cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

How do I move to a new VDSL Cabinet?

Go to solution

I'm currently connected for Infinity to a Cabinet that is 1500m away I get 12 Mbps on one line and 15 Mbps on the other. A new cabinet has now been added on my Distribution Point (Praise the broadband gods!). I talked with the engineers who where running cable from the distribution point to the cabinet to check that my line was included and it is :). According to the Openreach engineers they think that the cabinet will go live for orders in 5-8 weeks time. So my question is, once that Cabinet goes live, will Openreach simply disconnect my VDSL at the cabinet 1500m away and then reconnect me to the new one 70m away or is this something I'll need to get onto BT about. I've also got a second line via Talk Talk with VDSL on that too, so I'm not looking forward to dealing with both BT and Talk-Talk to try and get the cabinet change over done! Anythoughts on the process here.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: How do I move to a new VDSL Cabinet?

Go to solution

If your DP is moved to the new cabinet, your VDSL will also be moved to the new cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Will that get done by the engineers when they bring the Cab into life? Or do I need to talk to anyone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

It will be done as they transfer the cables.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
It should happen automatically
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Just want to be clear on this one (Thank you so much for the replies so far).

My line will still stay looped through the existing PCP 1500m away where it currently gets VDSL. The new cabinet is an all in one being added as infill to get VDSL further out, the engineer showed me the DP bundle along with the bundle of lines further out that have been looped through the new cabinet, in the short term anyway my voice line will go through two PCPs. It is possible therefor that Openreach can promote the new cabinet to live for VDSL but I still get VDSL from the old one. Are we saying that the openreach proceedure is that part of the go live will be moving VDSL customers who are downstream of the new cabinet from the old one to the new?

The engineers even showed me inside the new cab and my DP wire !

Inside My VDSL Cab.JPG

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
I honestly don't know and I doubt anyon on here will as it seems very specific to this situation.

You'd need to ask an engineer working on the job.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hmm, either way I doubt there is anything you can do to influence the outcome. Either you will be moved automatically or you won't. It may depend on the projected extra take up of the ports in the new cab.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

What I do know is that this Cabinet will serve 70 odds  lines but it's configured for  90 odd  VDSL connections. The only reason that I can see that I will not get switched over is if Openreach can't be bothered. So here's hoping! I'd be pretty shocked if I'm left to rot on 12mbps when a tiny bit of twisted pair to jumper me to this cab will give  me 78mbps ...... Let's see though!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Sounds promising, fingers crossed.

0 Ratings