cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

How do you get a halo hub sent out after reporting a landline issue?

Go to solution

Hello,

My landline has been very crackly today and that has caused my broadband to be very unstable and disconnect every 20 minutes. 

Swapping BT hubs around, changing filters, plugging into the master socket didn't make much difference so had to report a landline fault.

My package is BT Halo 1, and I am led to believe if I have broadband issues then I should get a 4g halo hub as a replacement until my issue is resolved. How do I order one, as there was no mention of a replacement 4g hub during the process of reporting my landline issue.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: How do you get a halo hub sent out after reporting a landline issue?

Go to solution

@andyhudson1979 

I think you would need a total loss of broadband to qualify.

What you have done is correct, as reporting a noisy phone line should result in it being sorted quite quickly, and your broadband should get better then.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Ah ok, makes sense. Not sure I need it now anyway. Typical that as soon as I book an engineer, I now have a line that has been stable for 90 minutes now. Will leave it 24 hours before cancelling the engineer. Can only assume there was some work going on in my area which affected the line. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@andyhudson1979 wrote:

Ah ok, makes sense. Not sure I need it now anyway. Typical that as soon as I book an engineer, I now have a line that has been stable for 90 minutes now. Will leave it 24 hours before cancelling the engineer. Can only assume there was some work going on in my area which affected the line. 

A noisy line can return. Sometimes it can be due to a high resistance connection, and if you ring your landline from a mobile, and let the phone ring for about 20 seconds before answering, that can often clear the fault.

Also when you ran the line test, as part of the fault reporting process, that can also clear a bad connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I didn't know that, thanks! Still stable as I type this, but I will try the 20 second thing if the problem returns.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@andyhudson1979 wrote:

I didn't know that, thanks! Still stable as I type this, but I will try the 20 second thing if the problem returns.

I get similar issues on my ADSL connection, which is cause by "dry" contacts on the test matrix in the exchange. Every so often I run the same test as that activates some of the relays, which clears the problem.

I usually let it ring until the answerphone on my BT4600 phone system cuts in.

On VDSL, its more likely to be an external line issue, but there are relays in the fibre cabinet which are activated during a line test, which is why you lose broadband during the test.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I've had 2 drops since the last post. I've logged into my bt hub 6 and gone into the technical logs. 

My download speed is ok at 60Mbs but my upload speed varies between 12-20 Mb upon connection.

The 1st noise margin figure on the left is fluctuating a lot. I've seen it anywhere between 2-10. What does this mean? 

Noise margin:

5.2 dB / 17.1 dB

Line attenuation:

18.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

11.2 dB / 18.6 dB

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

just you would expect with a noisy line. Sooner you get rid of the noise the sooner your broadband will return to normality

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.