cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How does a second line installation actually work?

Hi there,

I have ordered a second line to my house to be used in 1 bedroom for gaming and streaming. I was told that the engineer could install the broadband in the bedroom.

How does this work and what is the physical aspect? Is there any holes dug up? Walls drilled into? How does the broadband get set up from the cab?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How does a second line installation actually work?

Your current copper line has 4 cores only 2 of which are in use. Your second line will utilise the 2 spare cores.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

if you are getting FTTC and phone cable comes from pole then engineer will use the spare pare of wires in existing dropwire and set up a new master socket for your second line   just ask if he can put master in your bedroom that way you should be able to connect your new hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thankyou for the reply. I will certainly ask him to put the new second master socket in my bedroom.

Is there any digging or drilling involved?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Is the drop-wire from the outside pole flat and grey?

If so, then it is only 2-core (mine is), so that may need to be replaced as well, but that would be an outside job

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

It’s an Audit Failure to use Pair 2 of a Drop Wire 10b

If installing a second line the Engineer should either put up a second Drop Wire or replace the existing Drop Wire 10b for a Drop Wire 15, which is a 4 Pair Cable.

Sounds ridiculous but that’s the Openreach way. 😒

0 Ratings