cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarbat
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

How easy is it to upgrade to faster FTTP package?

So, FTTP will soon be available to our home. Looking at the various FTTP packages available from BT, I'm torn between the various packs:

• ESSENTIAL, giving 36/10, which might be fast enough.
  • SUPERFAST, giving 50/10, definitely fast enough.
  • SUPERFAST 2, giving 74/20, faster upload might be useful.

My question is this. If I go for one of the slower packages, how easy and quick is it to update to a faster package during the contract period?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: How easy is it to upgrade to faster FTTP package?

A phone call and a new contract

tarbat
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Does the discount on the original package carry over, or would I lose that discount and end up paying the full price on the new package? I'm sure many like me don't really know what speed they need until they start using it, and it would be nice if I could switch after a month and still get the "new customer" discount on the new package.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

It would be a new contract, so whatever you could negotiate.

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

If it’s FTTP , the the connection speed is what the product ‘headline’ speed offers, so for example Superfast 2 would be 80Mb download 20Mb upload, not the ‘average’ speed of 74Mb , that is FTTC where customers line lengths vary, with FTTP you get connected at whatever rate the package you are buying is, there isn’t a ‘line’, it’s a fibre, and the fibre length is irrelevant, if you go for a slower package and upgrade the speed at a later date, that should be doable  quickly and without any physical intervention , any discount would have to be negotiated, and much faster speeds than 80Mb are available 

tarbat
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I didn't realise Superfast 2 is actually 80Mb - I didn't see that listed. Is there a list somewhere of what the real speeds are for each BT FTTP product?

We're currently on an EO line getting around 18Mbps, but finally Openreach are putting in FTTP, due to be available to order next month - confirmed by the Scotland Project Manager. It's a simple job to connect us into the existing FTTP that's in place for later parts of the new housing development we're on. In fact Openreach quoted us a price of around £7k for the 64 homes a year ago. Fortunately we didn't take them up on that offer, and they're now installing FTTP as part of their commercial programme.

We don't need a really fast connection, so reckon Superfast Fibre Essential might be fast enough at 36Mbps, but really aren't sure.

My concern is that if we find we could do with a bit more speed, then I'll be in a really weak position to negotiate a new contract with BT to get the same discount I'd get if we went for the faster speed in the first place. I'm surprised BT don't cater for that sort of situation, where a customer isn't sure what speed they need. With a choice of 6 different FTTP products, it's difficult to decide which to go for.

SUPERFAST FIBRE ESSENTIAL3610£27.99
SUPERFAST FIBRE5010£32.99
SUPERFAST FIBRE PLUS7420£54.99
SUPERFAST FIBRE 27420£37.99
ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS15030£54.99
ULTRAFAST FIBRE 2 PLUS30049£59.99

And another question please. Which of the FTTP packages come with the new Smart Hub 2?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 9

As said before, you get the speed you pay for, there is not up to about it.

If you want to know what those are, either google it or go to the BT website.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@tarbat wrote:

I didn't realise Superfast 2 is actually 80Mb - I didn't see that listed. Is there a list somewhere of what the real speeds are for each BT FTTP product?

We're currently on an EO line getting around 18Mbps, but finally Openreach are putting in FTTP, due to be available to order next month - confirmed by the Scotland Project Manager. It's a simple job to connect us into the existing FTTP that's in place for later parts of the new housing development we're on. In fact Openreach quoted us a price of around £7k for the 64 homes a year ago. Fortunately we didn't take them up on that offer, and they're now installing FTTP as part of their commercial programme.

We don't need a really fast connection, so reckon Superfast Fibre Essential might be fast enough at 36Mbps, but really aren't sure.

My concern is that if we find we could do with a bit more speed, then I'll be in a really weak position to negotiate a new contract with BT to get the same discount I'd get if we went for the faster speed in the first place. I'm surprised BT don't cater for that sort of situation, where a customer isn't sure what speed they need. With a choice of 6 different FTTP products, it's difficult to decide which to go for.

SUPERFAST FIBRE ESSENTIAL 3640 10 £27.99
SUPERFAST FIBRE 5055 10 £32.99
SUPERFAST FIBRE PLUS 7480 20 £54.99
SUPERFAST FIBRE 2 7480 20 £37.99
ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS 150 30 £54.99
ULTRAFAST FIBRE 2 PLUS 300 49 £59.99

And another question please. Which of the FTTP packages come with the new Smart Hub 2?

They all come with a Smart Hub with a WAN port as well as DSL port. Not sure if there is a SH2 variant with WAN port, but don't make the mistake of thinking the SH2 is the answer to everything, its all marketing hype.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 9

You'd be better off with a third party router that suits your needs.

0 Ratings