cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How easy it to change from smart hub to another router? (Gfast fibre 250)

When my broadband was upgraded to Gfast and the new smarthub fitted the engineer told me it was as simple as just buying any old router and just replacing the smart hub, but I assume it isn't that easy as it's a router/modem combo.
so do I need to buy a modem and a router? (obviously i'm clueless.)

I mainly want to change because the current smarthub can't separate the wireless bands like my old smarthub could and I need 5ghz for certain devices ideally.
very annoying as obv I had to send the old smarthub back.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How easy it to change from smart hub to another router? (Gfast fibre 250)

You need to ensure you get a modem router capable of use on G.FAST and there are not a lot available and are expensive 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Keep your SH2. Turn off the 2.4G band on it and buy an inexpensive TP Link wireless N access point, e.g. the TL-WA901N is only £20 on Amazon at the moment. You can give it the SSID you want, I think they even have "guest" channel facility on those too.
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

B*gger, that's a pain in the bum. i had a feeling the engineer wasn't quite right. cheers. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

You can't just turn off 2.4g band on the SH2, that's the point. but even if you could most devices i use rely on that anyway. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@Monkeyboysteve wrote:

You can't just turn off 2.4g band on the SH2, that's the point. but even if you could most devices i use rely on that anyway. 

Of course you can.

Not sure what your actual problem is, most devices are quite happy with both bands having the same SSID its only a few devices that seem to have problems and most of those can be overcome by temporarily turning off 5Ghz and then turning it back on again.

wifi.jpg

0 Ratings