cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

How is FTTP installed?

I’m currently with Virgin Media and there fttp is fitted underground so is this the same way how open reach connect fttp as well? because I currently don’t have a poll close enough to my property apparently but yet the property used to have a phone line installed by the previous tenants but now it’s a dead line so is there any other way to get the broadband installed 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: How is FTTP installed?

They will use the ducting for the old phone line if that's the way it came in. If there are no poles around everybody must be supplied underground via ducting.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Ok because I was told that they would prefer to use a poll instead of going underground which could take up to 3 months to install the poll

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Openreach will install it using whatever method they deem is required , you won't get a choice I'm afraid. It will depend very much on the local infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to this link - https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Enter your address details and it should come up at the bottom of the page something like

"Single Dwelling unit OH/UG feed" if a standard property or a Multi dwelling unit if you live in a tower/apartment complex.

OH = The service will be above ground from the nearest telephone pole.

UG = They will use the underground telephone ducts to provide service.

Message 6 of 19

have you checked that you can actually get FTTP?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

C0FACA96-DD64-4426-891F-EE98AA16B96E.jpeg

 this is what it states 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Yeah I can get it just not through a poll cause I have virgin media which is installed underground
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Its nothing to do with Virgin media, how that is delivered is totally irrelevant.

The checker says it is an overhead feed (from a pole) but trees are a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

So it's an overhead feed but there's issues with trees blocking line of sight from the pole to your home.

It could just be tree branches in the way.

You cannot get it the same way as Virgin Media, both networks are independent of one another.

Also Openreach has overhead infrastructure in your area to deliver FTTP so underground isn't possible.