Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quyeno
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

How is Infinity 2 setup?

Hi

I've ordered Infinity 2 and a bit confused about how it's setup and this will determine whether I'll need to get extra power sockets installed.

I have new flat that's just been built.  The master socket is in the hall cupboard where the fuse box is.  There are no power sockets inside this cupboard.  The master socket was installed recently by a BT engineer when he installed the line. I believe the line coming into the flat is a copper line.  The master feeds 2 additonal phone sockets in the lounge and master bedroom (I'm told by the BT engineer that they're connected with CAT5 cables).  At the moment I can move the HUB4 to which ever room and have a wired connection.

Will this still be the case with Infinity 2? I have been told by some people this is so but have also been told it's not.

I have been told that the master socket will need a new face plate to connect the OpenReach Modem and the HUB5 connects to the modem. That's where my dilema is.  The master socket is in a cupboard and I do not want any cable routing through the flat.  The cupboard does not have any power sockets so if the modem and HUB5 go in there to avoid extra cables, I will need to have extra power sockets installed to power the modem and HUB5 then use Homeplugs broadband extenders to provide broadband to the lounge and bedroom (for a wired connection, online gaming and work pc).

It would be great to clear this up so I can decide whether I need those power sockets or not.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: How is Infinity 2 setup?

Your master socket will have a Service-specific faceplate (SSFP) for FTTC fitted and the Homehub 5 will connect to that. The extension sockets will be filtered by this SSFP so Infinity will not work at the extensions.

Optionally, one of the extensions may be converted to the master so Infinity will only work at that socket.

Alternatively, a data extension socket may be fitted up to 30 metres from the master socket and the Homehub5 can be connected to that instead.

Note that this will be done in agreement with the engineer.

Wherever the Homehub 5 is connected, you will need a power outlet to connect the Homehub 5 to.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

I suppose you have a further option of connecting the Homehub5 in the same way that you do the Homehub4, using microfilters. However, this could seriously affect the speed and reliability of your service, which is why this self-install option is currently limited to Infinity 1.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
quyeno
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

"Optionally, one of the extensions may be converted to the master so Infinity will only work at that socket."

Is this an option that's included as standard or would I have to pay extra for it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

It's included, but the installer may not want to do it, especially if he's a sub-contractor from Kelly's or Quinn's.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings