cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 1 of 62

How long does it take for a cabinet to get power......

Go to solution

I moved into my new house (moving from inifnity) back down to standard broadband. When I moved in and checked BT and Open Reach websites both said Infinity by end of Dec 2013. Dec 2013 came and went and suddnely it was March 2014....

Now what I find odd is that our Exchange has been listed as being enabled for Fibre but it seems every single postcode I try in St Helens comes with the following glum message from Openreach....

This marker shows cabinet: P39
Which is linked to exchange: SAINT HELENS
Please note: This is the intended area for the cabinet that will provide fibre broadband services to your postcode. We're sorry but it’s taking us longer than planned to get your cabinet ready for service. Please bear with us.

We're sorry that the work we are doing to bring fibre broadband to your area is taking longer than first planned. This can be for many reasons that include blocked underground cable routes, issues with providing electrical power to the cabinet and issues with the cabinet’s location. Please bear with us while we work to resolve this which may take some time. We will continue to work on this and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Now as I understand from the engineer that came to imrpove my broadband from 0.05 to 1.0 MB ( we are as far from the exchange as its possible to be) the cabinet was in and connected it just need power. This was in October. So my question is really how long should it take for somene to plug a powerline in. I presume the copper cabinet next door has power so the cables must be laid already.

Every house in the area has electricity so how hard can it be? Or is more likely that there hasnt yet been sufficient interest to connect our power supply. Leaving us with very slow broadband and lacking my BT Sport on my TV. Yes I can stream but this means disconnecting every other WIFI device while I do this.......

0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 62

Re: How long does it take for a cabinet to get power......

Go to solution

Normal street cabinets do not have mains power. A seperate feed to a Infinity cabinet has to be provided by the local electricity board. This is likely to involve extra underground duct to a suitable mains utility connection point. Openreach are dependent on them to provide this feed, which would depend on how busy they are. They are likely to be very busy at the moment.

It then has to be safety tested, as its an external cabinet, and has an internal earth leakage trip inside as well.

0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 3 of 62

Go to solution

So I should stop getting excited if I see an openreach van and pray for a van from Electricity North West then Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
nopowertop39
Beginner
Message 4 of 62

Go to solution

I would not put any store in what is said by openreach. Its been in this state for about 2 years at least. The date constantly moving. Two other cabinets on the same road are enabled and they have great big stickers on them announcing the fact!. You can also use the address checkers for streets near the cabinet and it confirms that fact. I cannot  see what the problem is other than there is no incentive for openreach /BT to get there collective fingers out. Lots of the houses are already served by VM and  the two relatively new estates served by this cabinet are not on Virgin cable so there is no competition and no alternative !!!   I know what I would like to do with that gold pin and its not to give them a medal for customer service.

0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 5 of 62

Go to solution
I wish I had known that before I moved in to he honest. I'm on the new estate so have no choice but the shocking copper infrastructure until someone comes and plugs a power cable into the cabinet.

I'd agree with that statement about the pin tbh 😞
0 Ratings
nopowertop39
Beginner
Message 6 of 62

Go to solution

I think from memory that this cabiniet has been like this since late 2011 at least

I sent this chaser in 2013

Sent: 22 May 2013 17:58
To: NGA Enquiries G
Subject: PMO ** 18979 ** when can I expect fibe

The availability date has slipped by 18 months when will Prescot LVPRE cabinet P39 be FTTC enabled ?

ANSWER AUGUST 2013

Date:    03/06/2013 12:04
Subject:    RE: PMO ** 18979 ** when can I expect fibe
Sent by:    <@openreach.co.uk>

Thank you for your email regarding the Prescot Exchange, cabinet 39.

We have unfortuantely experienced engineering delays with the deployment of your cabinet, however, on checking our systems they indicate that, if all goes to plan, we are hopeful the cabinet will be ready for service early August 2013, barring any complications.

I suggest you continue to monitor our Web-Site which will keep you up to date with our latest deployment news for your exchange, the site also contains FAQs.

The Web-Site can be viewed using the following link:

http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/where-and-when/

I am sorry I cannot provide a definite date at this time.

Regards,

Network Investment Customer Engagement
Web: www.openreach.co.uk

another chaser

Then DECEMBER 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband at Prescot exchange cabinet 39. We are currently waiting for the power utility company to schedule a date for when they can connect the new fibre cabinet to a suitable power supply, ( we cannot use street lighting or domestic supplies).

As such I cannot give you an accurate date but can give you a forecast date, for when the cabinet will go live for fibre broadband of late December.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

Thank you for your enquiry,

then another chaser

Now February 2014

You are connected to Prescot  Exchange  cabinet 39,

After checking our systems it says that cabinet 39 if everything goes to plan and barring any complications should be going live middle of February 2014.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

NGA Enquiries

Email:-  nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk|

The latset I have is LATE MARCH 2014

OPENREACH SORT THIS OUT

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 62

Go to solution

nopowertop39

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT or more importantly Openreach who are responsible for the delay.

Huwflet
Contributor
Message 8 of 62

Go to solution

I actually think we are talking about different cabinets here.

Mine is in Haydock and connected to the St Helens exchange.

Im aware this wont get to openreach and have spoken with the BT care team on twitter but I was hoping to and have got more knowledge of why its taking so long to get fibre optic. BT are my ISP so Ill be signing up the day it is available. 1mb to 80Mb (estimated I know) will be a massive upgrade for us.

0 Ratings
loopyonion
Beginner
Message 9 of 62

Go to solution

Hi,

Ressurecting an old thread.

Openreach no longer will provide any information.(Same email sent back before the openreach portal closed.)

2 years now!! and no power?

Really unhappy with the progress here.. stuck with 3 meg speed, and 2 youtubing kids? This is beyond the joke.

I have asked local councillors to look into the progress, and find out why its not enabled. Next stop..?? who knows.

emails so far:-

1:-

Thank you for your enquiry regarding fibre broadband.

Unfortunately we have had issues with the fibre cabinet (DSLAM) connected to Saint Helens cabinet (PCP) 34.

We must ensure that the DSLAM is located within 100m of its associated telephony connection cabinet and that there is adequate access to power and existing telephony infrastructure. To further enable the location of the DSLAM, we must accurately survey for underground structure and obstacles etc.

The completion date for fibre to cabinet PCP34 is mid-December 2013.

Please accept my apologies for the delay.

Regards

2:-

Thank you for your enquiry regarding fibre broadband.   Unfortunately we have had issues with the fibre cabinet (DSLAM) connected to Saint Helens cabinet (PCP) 34.   We must ensure that the DSLAM is located within 100m of its associated telephony connection cabinet and that there is adequate access to power and existing telephony infrastructure. To further enable the location of the DSLAM, we must accurately survey for underground structure and obstacles etc.   The completion date for fibre to cabinet PCP34 is mid-December 2013.   Please accept my apologies for the delay.   Regards

3:-

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your further enquiries about the deployment of cabinet LV/SAI 34. We are still experiencing issues with the deployment of this cabinet due to problems with the underground duct network. The current estimated go live for this cabinet is early to mid-March ’14.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

4:-

If your e-mail is about NGA Enquiries, please note -  The NGA Enquiry portal is now closed.     -   However, please go to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Regards

Tony ****

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 62

Go to solution

I can appreciate your problem and frustration but there is little you can do but sit and wait.  in my own case it took about 3 months to clear a small stretch of ducting that was blocked

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings