cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilh1962
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

How long for FTTP to be available after installing and connecting equipment on new poles?

Go to solution

I live in a hamlet in semi-rural South Wales and currently have download speeds of 1-3Mb.

FTTP is finally being installed in our road, it's been a slow process: 3 years ago planning permission for the new poles, a year ago the new poles were installed and a couple of months ago the green boxes started appearing on the new poles.

In the last few weeks I've seen BNE vans (Barden Network Engineering) down our road connecting up the equipment and I spoke to an engineer last Friday who said that their work was finished and they would be letting BT know so that they could connect fibre from the exchange to whichever pole is serving our road (I don't really know exactly how this works).

My question is: how long would it normally take for BT to connect everything and for Infinity to be available to order?

Is there any way of finding out some concreate information from BT?

I work from home and the slow connection is a pain and I'd like to move into the 21st Century as far as connection speeds go. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: How long for FTTP to be available after installing and connecting equipment on new poles?

Go to solution
It's different for every area.

All you can do it keep checking the Openreach when and where checker and once it becomes available, place your order.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 9

Re: How long for FTTP to be available after installing and connecting equipment on new poles?

Go to solution
Once the build work is all done and the fibre has been delivered to the splitters and DPs it then goes into the commissioning process which can take approximately 6-8weeks. During this time tests are done, systems updated and Openreach notify their customers (the Service Providers) that FTTP will be available at said location.

I take it that the work has been done under the Superfast Cymru BDUK scheme. In which case you can contact the Welsh Government for more information about the work. There is a fair few parts of Wales waiting for the FTTP infrastructure to be finished and ready for service at the moment as part of the Superfast Cymru programme.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
neilh1962
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using the Openreach checker, it shows we're in the Build phase and estimated to be able to order fibre within one month, which is a bit optimistic given that it's been saying the same thing for at least a month, I think. Interestiingly, if I enter the addresses of some other houses in our hamlet, including my next door neighbour it says 'Exploring Solutions'. It looks like I'll just have to contain my excitement for a bit longer and wait for the remaining weeks or months to pass.

0 Ratings
neilh1962
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@jac_95

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the green boxes on the poles (splitters?) say BDUK Wales on them so we're under Superfast Cymru. I've tried emailling the Welsh Government, informed they need to pass to second line who would contact BT. No reponse after about 6 weeks so have just emailled them again. 

As mentioned above, it's probably just a case of waiting for the remaining weeks or months to pass, I expect there's not much else that I can do.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
The Green Boxes on the Poles are FTTP DP's for Legacy Fibre. The oval shaped black tubes on the top of the Poles are Manifolds.
0 Ratings
neilh1962
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@TelephoneBob

Thanks for the info.

The new pole nearest me doesn't have a manifold at the top, just one of the green oblong boxes (which I now know are DPs).

There's another pole a bit further away which does have a manifold.

And some other new poles further up the lane which have manifolds, DPs and smaller green boxes a bit higher up the pole.

Could you explain how these all link together please and does it matter that there isn't a manifold on my nearest pole?

I walked up the lane the other morning and tried to follow the fibre from the pole on the main road which seems to be connected to the underground chamber beside it.

The fibre seems to travel along a mixture of old and new poles, some of which are shared with electricity cables.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@neilh1962 wrote:

@jac_95

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the green boxes on the poles (splitters?) say BDUK Wales on them so we're under Superfast Cymru. I've tried emailling the Welsh Government, informed they need to pass to second line who would contact BT. No reponse after about 6 weeks so have just emailled them again. 

As mentioned above, it's probably just a case of waiting for the remaining weeks or months to pass, I expect there's not much else that I can do.

Basically there's nothing you can do until the checker says yes. Just because the "front end on the pole" equipment has been installed doesn't mean the "back end" fibre connection has as it wil be different teams doing the work.

Rest assured it is coming to you and just keep checking for the live date appearing.

0 Ratings
neilh1962
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies.

Just checked 'Openreach where and when' and estimated availability has gone back to 'within 3 months' from 'within 1 month'. Within 3 months is probably more realistic given that the equipment has only recently been installed and connected at this end. Will keep checking and crossing fingers.

0 Ratings