Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rew45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

How long to connect?

Go to solution

It can take my modem anything from a few minutes to four hours to establish a connection (as evidenced by a steady DSL light). The average would be about 25 minutes.  I imagine that this is not normal, how long should it take?

The background is that I am experiencing increasingly frequent dropouts, usually from late evening until about 7 am, and the reconnect time is a serious problem. Bangalore Bill prescribed a new HomeHub, despite my protestations that the modem/line/cab equipment was probably to blame. The behaviour of the event log in the new hub is quite different from the old one and hard to understand, the only useful entry I have been able to capture was

05:22:06 PPPoE is down after 197 minutes up [disconnected]

So, before I spend another day on the 'phone to India, what would be a normal connect time?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 12

Re: How long to connect?

Go to solution

Hi rew45

You should be connecting more or less instantly.  Do you have spare hub to try to see if theres a difference?

There are also a couple of things you can do to help with drop outs in general.  Have a look through this link and see if it help.  Help with connection drops.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rew45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

> You should be connecting more or less instantly.

Thanks, that's really useful information.

>  Do you have spare hub to try to see if theres a difference?

Yes, I was getting dropouts from late evening until early morning, and when I raised the issue, BT sent me a new hub.  With the new hub, there is at least one dropout every night, at around 05:00 BST, which lasts from between 20 minutes to 70 minutes (from the log).  I imagine BT will contact me to find out if the problem is resolved, and to ask for the old hub back.  I am not happy about these long reconnect times, how do you think I should respond?

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

HI rew45

@rew45 wrote:

> You should be connecting more or less instantly.

Thanks, that's really useful information.

lol well you did ask 😛

If you have a case open with the technical team then they should be back in touch to find out how things are going with the new hub.  If you prefer I can give you a hand too.  Did you get a look through that link I posted or have you been through these steps before?

If you want to get in touch could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rew45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I looked at the help link that you posted, to make sure there was nothing which I have not already tried.  There wasn't, and there was also no mention of my specific problem, which is very long disconnect periods, up to 4 hours.  My installation is as simple as possible, the master socket is wired directly to the A/B pair about a foot from where it enters the property, and I have disconnected all extension wiring and telephone equipment by detaching the faceplate, removing the intermediate connector, and plugging the modem/filter back into the test socket.  Any disconnection of the telephone line, or cycling the power to the modem, will cause a long delay, from ten minutes to 4 hours, before sync is achieved, as evidenced by a steady DSL light.  I can't think of anything else to try, so I will take up your offer of help, for which I am very grateful.

Thanks,

Richard

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Make sure you fill in the contact form.

0 Ratings
rew45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Make sure you fill in the contact form.

Have already done so, thanks.  Especially since BT have closed the fault as resolved, despite never contacting me to see if the replacement hub fixed anything...

Richard

0 Ratings
fable
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

when you remove the faceplate --are the extensions dead/as they should be ?

0 Ratings
rew45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, I checked for that, thanks.  There is an adapter behind the faceplate, which routes the filtered signal to the extensions, I unplugged this from the faceplate, leaving it dangling, and plugged the faceplate back into the test socket.  The phone on the extension was quite dead at this point.  The incoming pair is aluminium rather than copper, and the installation engineer told me, 10 months ago, that it would be changed to copper, but nothing happened.  I had a reasonable download bandwidth when I last checked, down from 33 to 20 with a profile of 21, but I assume that is because of all the disconnections and modem reboots.  The line seems quiet. 

Richard

0 Ratings
rew45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I spoke too soon.  Just checked the speed, and I now have 6.71 Mbps down, with a profile of 6.87, and 0.73 up, with a profile of 10.  Ping is 37.25.  So it looks as though I have been DLMed.  And it's still disconecting for long periods.  I hope the Moderation kicks in soon.

0 Ratings