cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

How long to "accepting orders" for FTTP/FTTH after fibre manifolds installed?

Go to solution

We live in a semi-rural area and currently live with maximum download speeds of less than 5Mb, even during quiet times.  At peak times it is often less than 2Mb.  All the villages around us have had FTTC enabled for a while now. Our PCP cabinet is a long way away, so we are getting Fibre to the Premises, we believe as part of the Connecting Cambridgeshire plan. We have seen that Openreach has installed fibre manifolds on the nearby telegraph poles, but there seems to be no way of finding out when fibre broadband will be enabled to order.  I'm desperate to get decent broadband performance via Infinity 4/5.

Other than checking on www.dslchecker.bt.com everyday, is there a way to find out when the service will be enabled?

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 33

Re: How long to "accepting orders" for FTTP/FTTH after fibre manifolds installed?

Go to solution
Try the FTTP sales team: 0800 587 4787

WBC FTTP very rarely shows up on phone numbers, so make sure to check the dslchecker using your building address, which should generally give information about FTTP service.
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Re: How long to "accepting orders" for FTTP/FTTH after fibre manifolds installed?

Go to solution

Thank you.  Will try the FTTP sales team.  

Already tried my address (and a few others nearby) on the dsl checker, but it is giving exactly the same data as when I use the BT telephone number. No news about availability of fibre.

dsloutput.PNG

There seems to be no automated way to look at the detailed status of "work in progress" by Openreach. The Openreach "Where and when" http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ and the Connecting Cambridgeshire http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/my-area/ sites are displaying very out-of-date information for our area.  It looks like the outside work on the fibre provisioning is completed as I saw them laying fibre in the underground ducts in the village around Sep- 15 and I can see the new fibre manifolds on telegraph poles in the village are wired up. I understand that Openreach will add the final leg of the fibre from the nearest fibre manifold (on the telegraph pole) to the house once we order Infinity 4/5 via BT.  The commitment via BDUK is to have superfast provision by Dec 2015, so I am hoping it is commissioned imminently, but it would be good to know exactly when or if they are encountering any technical issues.

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

The dsl picture you linked is not showing FTTC Fibre to the Cabinet either, I would not presume to try to get FTTP or FTTH without first having FTTC in the exchange sure that would come first, I'm also wondering about FTTH or FTTP on my home but I have had fttc for ages over 1 Year, but dont know how FTTP would show itself to me below is what I see on DSLCHECKER.

UPDATE #1:

If like me i'm in a city with FTTC on exchange I can forget about getting FTTP so im out of luck on that one 

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
@IceZaroth If you are able to get FTTC, you will never receive FTTP. (At least not yet). Only people who are connected to a fibre manifold are able to receive WBC FTTP services (the native FTTP which costs little).
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

@BBNotSpot wrote:

We live in a semi-rural area and currently live with maximum download speeds of less than 5Mb, even during quiet times.  At peak times it is often less than 2Mb.  All the villages around us have had FTTC enabled for a while now. Our PCP cabinet is a long way away, so we are getting Fibre to the Premises, we believe as part of the Connecting Cambridgeshire plan. We have seen that Openreach has installed fibre manifolds on the nearby telegraph poles, but there seems to be no way of finding out when fibre broadband will be enabled to order.  I'm desperate to get decent broadband performance via Infinity 4/5.

Other than checking on www.dslchecker.bt.com everyday, is there a way to find out when the service will be enabled?

What exchange are you on and what village do you live in ?

0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

Kimbolton exchange

Stow Longa village

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

I did wonder if that was the case.  I have sent you a Private Message.

0 Ratings
noemont
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

I would ask Connecting Cambridgeshire - they might know:

0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks for your suggestions.

I had spoken with Connecting Cambridgeshire and I am registered for updates with both them and BT.  Connecting Cambridgeshire could not give me any more data, other than saying that FTTP commissioning can take up to 90 days after installation (as opposed to 2 weeks for FTTC).  Commissioning started here in October 2015, so their expectation is that availability is imminent.  The issue is that it is very hard to find the true status of Openreach work directly. Even the providers and local authorities (BT, Connecting Cambridgeshire etc) seem to have difficulty getting expected completion times from Openreach so they can keep end customers informed.

Looking across many of the threads here, it does seem that it is very hard for end customers to get the status of Openreach  work and to hold them accountable for their service.

I like the idea of contacting Openreach CEO with an example of how better visibility from Openreach would help end customers.  Many of the utility companies (water, electricity etc) are getting better at this. I can't see why Openreach, which has an effective monopoly on telecoms infrastructure can't follow?  

Anyone have an email address to contact the CEO's office?

0 Ratings