cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

How often does my IP address change + How to get a new IP?

I have a server where I host my websites.

I need one of 2 situations: either have the SAME IP always... or have a different IP EVERY time I login?

How often does that IP address I have change?

I'm guessing it's fairly static?

OR... getting new IP addresses all the time: I can just login via BT Wifi hotspots.

This seems to give a new IP address every time I login. Problem is, if I need to change IP address quickly... how do I do this? Turn off my machine and turn on again? Is there a quicker way - like putting into Airplane mode on and off? (I tried this, doesn't work.)

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: How often does my IP address change + How to get a new IP?

Are you talking about your public IP address? 

If you are, you can not get a static IP address with a BT Residential line. You would need to get a business line.

There is no set time when your public IP address will change however it will probably change if you switch your router off and on again.

You should consider signing up with a Dynamic IP service such as No-IP

If you are talking about giving a fixed IP address to a device on your home network you can do that by logging onto your router admin pages and assigning a fixed IP address  to the device. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.

Would be good to know of the frequency of IP address changing.

Getting new IP addresses via BT Wifi Hot Spots: I connect now, I get an IP address. I connect after 1 hour, I get another IP address!!

I connect now, I get an IP address. I connect another laptop, I get a different IP address!

Just wanted to know... if there was a way of changing IP address from one laptop?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

It appears that you are not very sure about the difference between your public IP address and your device's private/home network IP address.

You should have a read of these links which might help you.

https://www.iplocation.net/public-vs-private-ip-address

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-Public-IP-address-and-a-Private-IP-address

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-static-ip-address-2626012

Every time you log onto BTWifi you are issued with a new  IP address because you are classed as a new user on the BTWifi network. Each device must have a different IP address other wise it would not be possible to differentiate where the traffic should be directed.

It is impossible to know the frequency of when your dynamic public IP address will be changed. As I have said, if it is important to you you should sign up with a Dynamic IP service.