cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How to approach a non-standard installation?

Hi there

I'm looking into getting FTTP but think I fall into the category of a non-standard install because the outside connection to the house is 130 metres from where I need the ONT to be without any options to run internal cabling (although there is a Openreach manhole much nearer).

How do I approach this one? Just flag it up when I make the order? And is there scope to have a discussion with an engineer ahead of time because probably the best solution is to change the fibre entry point but I presume that would need to happen ahead of installation day?

Thanks for any advice and help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to approach a non-standard installation?

enter your phone number and post results  this should show if FTTP available and type of installation needed

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Its not clear to me what you mean , a CSP , this is (usually) the spice point provided on your external ‘house’ wall , do you mean it’s 130 meters from the most likely location of the CSP  to where you want the ONT located , but this is still within the same building that the CSP is attached to ?, or are you hoping the CSP can be attached to one building and you would like the ONT location in a separate building ( like a garden office ) 130 metres away ?
The distance from the ‘network’ CBT , either pole mounted or in an underground jointbox to the CSP isn’t really your concern and 130 metres , although not allowed in a single overhead span from a pole , isn’t out of the ordinary with an underground feed , but you don’t appear to be saying your concern is the CBT to CSP distance, you state the ONT ?.

Perhaps you can confirm which distance it is , CBT to CSP, or CSP to ONT

If you are lucky enough to live in a property that would require a 130 metre run of internal from the likely CSP position, to where you would like the ONT , a standard install wouldn’t accommodate this , a standard install wouldn’t be more than 1/4 of that distance, maybe even less ( 10-20 metres) more likely is you would have to provide your own ‘Ethernet’ cable from the ONT , plug the ONT into that cable  , then at the other end of this (where you would like to site your router ) you then plug the router into your own network cabling, this is pushing it a little as 100m is usually the maximum suggested distance for this arrangement.

Even if you are prepared to pay more for the ‘enhanced installation’  you need to tell your ISP in advance that you need more than the standard amount of time allocated because of your local  requirements ,  basically you pay more because the engineer will be spending more time than on a standard install,  you need to do that when you order , not when the installer turns up, but even that isn’t likely to include 130 metres of cabling , and certainly not to a location detached from the main residence 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, initous. I'm talking about CSP to ONT.

My house is the middle third of a long barn that is split into three properties - so our part is roughly 160 metres in length. There is cabling outside at one end at our segment of the barn which goes into the master socket, but a few metres away from where I'd like the ONT (some 130 metres along the barn) there is a manhole cover with cabling that is supplying other properties on the development - so potentially I'm wondering whether that can be source of a new CSP and could be part of the installation.

The only other option I can see is to keep the CSP where it is now at one end of our segment of the barn and then run 130 metres of external ethernet to provide a network point to attached a router to, but if that is the case I'm trying to understand whether I need to get an non-Openreach supplier to put that in ahead of the installation or whether Openreach could do it as a non-standard install, although I think your comments suggest they wouldn't be able to.

Also, I'm not sure how best to explore the first option ahead of time - because that could be simple option but if I place the order I'm sure I'll end up with the CSP where the master socket is right now.

Have I explained that any better?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

use the link and make sure you can actually get FTTP and should also indicate type of install

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Is it the case then , that you have a jointbox and duct that currently houses your copper connection , this duct appears externally at your property, but is some considerable distance away from where you actually want the FTTP router to be placed , there is another jointbox and duct outside your neighbour, that services your attached neighbours property, but the ‘duct’ from this box appears externally against the wall of their property , but it is much closer to where you want your router to be placed ?

If that is the case , the options would be , for you to get your neighbours to agree for your CSP to be sited on their wall and a new cable ran along their wall until it’s on your property, where it would be taken inside and the ONT fitted , a wayleave would be required for the CSP and/ or wiring if it isn’t on your own property, this is not going to be a first choice for Openreach, but is ‘doable’ if the neighbours agree and commit it to writing.

If the existing duct to your property ( so no wayleave issues) could easily be used , and  it’s only your preference that this 130m of cabling is provided from your duct exit  point to where you would like the CSP sited ( and then a short run of internal cable to the ONT ) the installer won’t agree to run 130m externally or internally, they would look to provide the CSP and ONT close to your duct exit point , and you would need to arrange  a ‘contractor’ yourself to provide your own 130m Ethernet connection between the ONT and router location  , even requesting a enhanced installation will likely not cover this amount of ‘extra’ cabling work

Providing the CSP and ONT near your duct exit point , ( mimicking the existing copper pair service) and leaving you to arrange the extra cabling would be Openreach preferred method.

If your neighbour is agreeable, then a standard install should suffice but you would likely need the neighbours available  to sign the installers paperwork on the day , showing that they agreed to your CSP or cable to the CSP existing on their wall .

OR won’t provide new ‘duct’ from the jointbox outside your neighbour to the wall of your property to get around needing a wayleave, you already have a usable duct , OR won’t ‘pay’ to provide an alternative duct just to get closer to your preferred router location.

Of course I may have gotten this completely wrong .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Really helpful advice. Thank you.

0 Ratings