cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ben1987
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

How to escalate a complaint properly with BT?

Hi.
Sorry this is a long one! But here goes...
Last Saturday I woke up to no broadband and a flashing purple light on my router. I replaced the smart hub with the old home hub and tried new cables and neither set up would get me a connection. I went on the BT app and requested support. The advisor took me through more trouble shooting steps and eventually diagnosed a line fault and arranged an engineer visit on Wednesday morning - all good.

Fast forward to Wednesday. The engineer arrives with a router tucked under his arm. Nice bloke. Within 5 mins we knew they had sent the wrong guy. He had been sent to test my equipment when a line fault had been diagnosed. He did his tests and proved the equipment was working OK. So he then kindly called BTs internal number and arranged a line engineer for the following day - great.

The secon engineer rocked up nice and early on Thursday morning. Checked out all the cables around my house leading the the router, all good. He nips off to the green cabinet and comes back a while later saying it was a port issue and he needed to change the ports. So it would take him 10-15 mins and then he had to call BT for them to update my account. He came back looking rather frustrated around an hour later. The BT call centre were refusing to update my account as the ticket was showing as resolved on their system. A few calls later between engineer and management team it was agreed the fastest thing to do was to get me to re-report the fault. Which I did. We then had to try and get the fault assigned to the nice engineer chap sat in my living room. Which didn't happen. He was getting pressured to move on to his next job despite him protesting that it was not fair on the customer. In the end he reluctantly left, promising a call back later - which he did, to tell me that BT were now refusing to let any further works be carried out on the line as it had been ceased on the 10th.

I am actually transferring to Sky as we got a great deal through a work discount code. This was done after the first fault was reported.

So, Thursday evening I called BT again. Who promised to have the line re-activated within 24 hours and a manager would call me on Saturday to check in. At this point I reminded them that even if they do re-activate my line I'm still at square 1 with the initial line fault.

On Saturday they call at 5.30 pm and are surprised to find we don't have internet. But of course it's too late for them to book another engineer. They promise an appointment on Monday (today) and a call back on Sunday to confirm.

The call back never came. So we called them yesterday. This advisor decides to tell me not to bother as it's unlikely I'll have it back before my transfer date to sky - 26th. After a bit of arguing he agrees to book an engineer appointement.

I have made probably a dozen calls. Contacted BT over the app and Facebook several times and I get told something different every single time! I just want someone to take ownership and actually tell me if my line has been re-activated yet and sort out an engineer. I've taken two mornings off work and had to turn down overtime as I am reliant on an active connection. Even though I am transferring to sky I am still going to be dependant on BT to fix the pre-existing line fault.

Thanks.
Sorry for the long read.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to escalate a complaint properly with BT?

Do you have VDSL, aka FTTC or ADSL Broadband from BT?

You mentioned they sent out an Engineer originally to test your Router. As far as I’m aware BT Wholesale only use Qube Socket Jockeys for their ADSL Products, not for VDSL.

Also if your Broadband was Ceased on the 10th then there would be no line fault for an Openreach Engineer to fix so I’m a little confused as to why you would need one before you get Sky Broadband?
0 Ratings
ben1987
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have FTTC.

The first engineer tested the smart hub.

I had a line fault which I reported before I started the process of switching to sky. The line was then ceased 16 days before my switch date in error just after I reported my fault. So I need my line to be re-activated until the agreed switch date and the fault in the cabinet fixing that was diagnosed by the Openreach engineer on the Thursday. He confirmed it would be an issue even when my ISP switches.
0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

What’s the line fault you have?
0 Ratings
ben1987
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

The openreach engineer said that there was an issue with the port in the green cabinet.
0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

If your services were ceased on the 10th as you said then the port won’t be faulty it’ll just be deactivated.

Also when you move to Sky are you getting Sky Fibre? If so then they assign you a new DSLAM Port anyway.
0 Ratings
ben1987
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

They've actually just got back to me to arrange another visit tomorrow.

There was a fault and no connection for several hours before I even spoke to sky. The openreach engineer was aware that I was moving and said whatever was going off in the cabinet would still be an issue later on. So I don't think it's solely down to me switching away.

They also shouldn't just cancel someone's services 16 days before an agreed switch date while they're still paying for them.
0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Either your services haven’t been Ceased as you say or they’ve not arranged for an Engineer to visit on an FTTC Fault but instead a Voice Line Fault.

Also what you’ve said here makes no sense;

‘He came back looking rather frustrated around an hour later. The BT call centre were refusing to update my account as the ticket was showing as resolved on their system.’

The FTTC/P Network is solely managed by Openreach, there is no reason for him to ring BT ref to a fault with a DSLAM Port.

If there was an issue with the DSLAM Port an Openreach Engineer would contact the Openreach Helpdesk (called DCoE) who would try to fix the Port by resetting it and possibly the whole Fibre Card. If that doesn’t work then they’d provide a new Port if there are spares. If there aren’t and the DSLAMS at capacity then they would raise a Case for an NGA Engineer (guys who look after the DSLAMS) to go out and do a Port Repair.