cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

How to get FTTP installed.. already have FTTC and already have fibre into the property..

Go to solution

In short, my appartment block was built in 2001/2002, and I've owned my appartment since new.

The appartments themselves are all fibred up, and Virgin has fibre since day one in this building.

To my suprise the  OpenReach engineer I had around recently told me that actually, the cabling coming in from the ground as provided by BT has two bundles - a twisted pair bundle and a fibre bundle. The guy said it just won't be joined to the network. Why did I have a BT engineer around ? Because the performance has dropped below the line hand-back speed - the cabinet in the street (cabinet 31, Southampton, Hill Lane) has old 1st gen fibre equipment in, which is over-subscribed and end-of-life. Of note it had a G.Fast pod added 6 months ago or so, and I'm 430 metres away by cable length - but G.Fast doesn't seem to be offered yet at my post code.

So.. the question. The cabinet has FTTC, there is fibre into the property and the property has fibre to all the apartments. Seems like an easy win to me.. what do I need to do next to make it happen ?

(Note I'm currently with PlusNet after leaving BT last May, of course I can move back whenever as the fibre broadband performance is below the hand-back threshold)

Regards

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to get FTTP installed.. already have FTTC and already have fibre into the property..

Go to solution

Enter phone number or address and post results.  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: How to get FTTP installed.. already have FTTC and already have fibre into the property..

Go to solution
VDSL Range A (Clean)8063.1201957.2Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8058.6201949.8Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--5.5 to 12.5Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 15.5 to 12.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4.5 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date20-09-2018
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

As there is currently no FTTP showing then you will not be able to order (FTTPoD not the same)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

that rather misses the point; I already know that.

What I want to know is who do I need to speak to at BT or OpenReach etc to say, look, there's already fibre everywhere.. what needs to be done to connect it and how much is it going to cost me. That is obviously not a off-the-shelf retail option.

I'm very annoyed that basically what was a 76Mpbs connect is now 55Mbps, and I'm the kind of person that had dual channel bonded ISDN back in the mid 90's spending £300 a quarter on my phone bill.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

There obviously isn't 'fibre everywhere' or it would have been shown on the checker.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

> There obviously isn't 'fibre everywhere' or it would have been shown on the checker.

Someone else missing the point. The infrastructure appears to exist; it isn't currently connected and I doubt that BT are even aware that they did run fibre into this new build back in 2001. One of the fibre companies also ran cable in at the same time - took them about 7 years and to be taken over by Virgin before they realised yes, they did actually have a service to offer.

What isn't obvious is what I can do about this, or indeed, if BT/OpenReach are in a position to do anything about this or they know about this and can't do anything until they upgrade the cabinet etc, that is the stuff I do not know about and wish to find out.

It may be a case of "Oh we didn't know that.. it'll cost a £1K to get it all connected up" or it may be a case of "not a chance.. we know.. but it is going to be 2 years and not until upgrade x and conditions y and z are met".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

You will need to contact Openreach and ask them. You can use this form.

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks very much, exactly what I'm looking for.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Openreach didn't supply or install fibre in 2001/2 FTTP so the engineer was feeding you BS. Similarly VM didn't supply fibre in 2001/2 and only started recently with project lightning in limited areas.