Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

How to leave BT

Go to solution
Hi. I used to have a constant broadband speed in the 50Meg plus range with my infinity 1 package. At the start of January I cancelled my BT tv package. At the same time I received an email from BT thanking me for upgrading to BT infinity 1 with 38Meg download speed. Since then my speed dropped to mid to high 30s Meg. I contacted BT about this only to be told that I was on 52Meg package. I knew this already and told them that they had dropped my speed. They just kept repeating the same thing. They sent out an engineer 2 weeks ago and he said that my line was receiving 59Meg but my BT profile had been set at 40Meg instead of 55Meg. He couldn't do anything about it BT needed to change my profile back. Yet again I contacted BT and they insisted that my profile was 55, yet I was viewing on my smarhub that it was 40. Another at BT on the Wednesday 24th said it had been changed back to 55 on Tuesday evening 23rd Jan. When I got home, I checked and it still said 40 and my speed remained in the high 30s. Further calls involved people saying it had never been changed at all or it was 55 and even it was 40. They said an engineer needed to be sent out. I kept reiterating to them, to no avail, that the engineer had already been out and that he said BT needed to change my profile back to 55Meg as it's was set at 40. They arranged for an engineer to come last Monday so I took the day off work only for no engineer to turn up. No contact from BT to let me know. A further engineer visit was then arranged for yesterday afternoon which meant a further afternoon had to be taken off work. Yet again no one turned up and BT did not contact me to let me know.

I am in the middle of a 12 month contract. With this poor service and BT changing my profile without consent, am I able to cancel the contract without penalty due to BT not providing the service I am paying for?
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: How to leave BT

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

If you have a BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub)

Please use this link to display the Smart hub (HH6) connection information

You will need to be connected to your home hub to do this/

You would not be able to cancel because of speed issues, unless the connection speed is consistently lower than the minimum guaranteed speed, as specified when you started the contract.

0 Ratings
Gary2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution
BT Broadband
BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER Telephone Number on Exchange SENGHENYDD is served by Cabinet 6
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 62 20 18.6 55 Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 74 49 20 12.9 39.8 Available -- --
Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --
ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 16.5 -- 14.5 to 19 Available -- Yes
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 16.5 Up to 1.5 14.5 to 19 Available -- Yes
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- Yes
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --
Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTEFaceplate N
Last Test Date 17-05-2017
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.
Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.
0 Ratings
Gary2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution
Thank you. Here are the results
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

There is no reason why your connection speed should be lower than 55Mbs.

Can you please provide the connection information from the home hub, as requested?

0 Ratings
Gary2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

BT Smart Hub Manager
bt image

Technical log
Information

Event log
This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084316+NQ64139191
Firmware version: SG4B1000B522
Firmware updated: 17-Jan-2018
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime: 7 Days, 15 Hours 30 Minutes 20 Seconds
Data rate: 10.00 Mbps / 40.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 15790 / 95046
Noise margin: 10.5 dB / 23.4 dB
Line attenuation: 17.4 dB
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 30723 MB Uploaded / 74606 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-6R6P
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-6R6P
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: AC:84:C9:AC:DD:4B
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has reduced your connection speed to 40Mbs. This usually happens if there has been a line fault, or you have been restarting or disconnecting the home hub.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

BT cannot reset DLM, as its controlled by Openreach, however if you leave things alone, with no restarts or disconnections, then DLM should eventually increase the connection speed.

Give it a couple of weeks, if it does not improve, the you would have to report it as a fault, and Openreach would arrange a visit, and reset DLM, once they were sure there was not a fault on the line.

See Why has my speed dropped

0 Ratings
Gary2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution
Thank you for your help on this. I have had more help in the last 30 mins here than 3 weeks on the phone.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

That is what this forum is for. Your question is a very common one, and there are plenty of people on this forum who can help.

It you have no noise on the phone line, just leave every thing alone, no restarts or disconnections, and things should eventually recover, as described on my web page link.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
0 Ratings