cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graham9999
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

How to run data extension cable 2 mths after Infinity installed-options?

Dec 2011 BT fitted a new master socket in my study-the open reach guy was great and installed at my request a new tel cable around the outside wall of the house to enable the master socket to be fitted in my study(this avoided the dreaded cable cleats all around the house!)

I am really pleased with download speed, wireless hub etc including-Internet TV streaming to downstairs with wireless LAN usb device. I thought I had it all sussed and was future proof!

However at some point in the future I wish to stream music files  in 24 bit FLAC format from a NAS device(which will be located in the study upstairs next to the Master Socket).I intend to save my 700 CD’s onto the NAS and stream them downstairs to my hi-fi in loss less format.

The problem is that media streamers I am looking at require a hard wire Ethernet connection to achieve 24 bit quality (this is apparently not available by wireless).

I am therefore now looking at running a cable(Cat5) from the master socket in the study upstairs, through the outside wall, down to the kitchen cupboard and through a hole into the lounge wall near my hi-fi(this route is “hidden behind cupboards and hifi cabinet-so it keeps the Mrs happy!)

Please can an expert advise:-

1. If I did the prep and the BT Engr did the connection and supplied the cable-how much would this cost?

2    Is this a possible DIY job due to Infinity connection?

3.    If so, what spec of cable is required (for outside)-I want decent stuff not cheap!

4.    How do I run an “extension cable” from the new BT Master socket-eg is it wired from inside the master socket terminations or is it a cable/plug out of master socket?

5.   What type of extension socket spec would I require for Ethernet Infinity service.

Many thanks and please excuse my ignorance in this subject area!Smiley Very Happy

Graham

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
r1sh12
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to run data extension cable 2 mths after Infinity installed-options?

Im not sure if you will get 24bit from some older CD's, but you could use homeplugs and avoid the wiring issues.

Find good high speed homeplugs Ive seen some which are 500Mb, connect the NAS drive to the router or your hifi.

Its worth looking at the homeplugs because I currently run my whole TV media setup via homeplugs using a netgear switch (1gbps).

Ive got my ps3,xbox, bt vision and TV setup connected to the internet via homeplugs.

They are a great.

I would check if its possible to get 24bit via homeplugs since they can go up to 1gbps, although im sure  the 1gbps plugs will be quite expensive. Im think 500mbps plugs will be fine for 24bit, but im not 100% sure.

graham9999
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for a swift reply.

I hadnt thought about homeplugs for this speed.

I also should have mentioned that I will use the downstairs connection for a lan link to my blu ray recorder, will the homeplugs provide a connection to two devices?

Thanks

Graham

0 Ratings
Cleric
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

IMHO - for what it's worth - what I did was to network my whole house using external grade Cat5e wire in a similar way to your BT extension ending up with a network switch in my Study.

Because I wasn't confident in connecting the Cat5e modules I did all the first fix myself - wiring, drilling holes grommets etc - then got a friendly local electrician to do the second fix of wiring up the faceplates. He was happy and my wallet was happy as I's done the laborious bit. Only comment? install double sockets otherwise you end up buying extra switches!

Maybe it was just me but when I used my homeplugs from my old system when Inifinity was installed the speed was very disappointing.
graham9999
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Many thanks for reply.

What is a network switch?

Also does any other members have an insight into my original post regarding types of sockets and advice re connections etc

Regards

Graham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Search for "Ethernet Switch" on Google, there are lots of them.

An example TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D) Plastic Case cost about £14