cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 1 of 64

Hub 5 keeps resetting

I upgraded to faster broadband well over 2 years ago & was supplied with a new BT hub 5. My speed immedietly increased to 8 mb/s, not grease lightening but far better than the 2.8 mb/s I was getting previously. All was fine with very stable connections up until a few months ago when I started to get drop outs due to the hub rebooting. Sometimes it can be OK for a few days but it can happen at least once a day & sometimes many more. This Thursday evening, it rebooted 4 times in the space of 20 minutes & as we stream music & TV, this situation is not ideal. I first contacted BT via the on line chat app a month or so ago & must have spent about an hour with an operative who said they were doing checks which reset the hub at least once, they also detected my Sonos Bridge but thought it was a modem & I had explain what it was for. They then tried to blame that for the problem despite the fact it has been connected to this & a previous routed for around 5 years & when I dissagreed the operative terminated the call & marked the fault as fixed!

More recently, I initiated a complaint & got phone call from an overseas call centre & this operative conducted more tests & said there was no line fault & it must be the router (why?). Initially said she would send me a new one but then back tracked saying I would have to sign up for a new contract or pay for the new router which I am not happy to do as I don’t believe it’s a router problem. Operative insisted there is no line fault & could not do any more so I terminated the call.

How can I get this resolved, BT operatives continually state there is no line fault which there clearly seems to be. Can anyone offer any explanation as to why I’m now getting this problem when previously my speed & connection was pretty stable & nothing my end has changed at all. I am also rather suspicious as there seems to be a lot of Openreach activity in my area recently, including the junction box at the end of the road which I know I'm routed through back to the exchange.

0 Ratings
63 REPLIES 63
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 2 of 64

Re: Hub 5 keeps resetting

Can you run a quiet line test by dialling 17070 and then option 2 and report if the line is noisy. Also please post full router stats and a speed test.

That allows the forum to see where the problem is.

Peter

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 3 of 64

Did quiet line test & there seems to be a continuious hissing/crackling noise, it’s very faint but I’m unsure if this is indicative, should the line be totally silent? Unable to use BT speed test as all I get is a screen reporting an unresolved fault, did a test using 3rd party checker gave response time 91 ms; Download speed 7.9 mbps; upload speed 1.4 mbps. Sorry, how do I access hub statistics?

I did have severe problems in the early days of BT TV some years ago when I first signed up & an engineer who visited fitted a new termina box in the loft disconnected all my internal extension lines (I didn’t need them anyway ) & fitted a MK 2 Openreach master socket, he was still not happy so he went even further & allocated another connection in the junction box down the road & all was transformed. But I assume this would have been changed again later when they upgraded me to faster broadband which I assume operates from new fibre optic cables from the junction box back to the exchange.

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 4 of 64

Managed to access home hub but am unsure which statistics, do you mean the event log? there are pages of them!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 64

you need to post the information /helpdesk page
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 64

there should be no noise on the line if there is it need reporting as a noisy line with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 7 of 64

Hi John; I note you’re a “distinguished sage” contributor but I don’t find your posts particularly helpful. I once had a similar “post count” to yours on two Forums completely unconnected with this before I gave it all up as a bad job but I do get how one can get a bit blasé with response to what maybe the same old **bleep** questions!

The whole point of me posting this forum was to understand my problem & seek help with getting beyond the BT/Openreach “not us guv” front line grinding machine & get response from those in the background who really know what’s going on which I’ve managed before with help from this forum so can you please be a little more specific with your response? Being of technical background & qualification, I’m by no means an idiot but admit to having a limited understanding in this particular field; but I learn pretty fast!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 64

to give you some help we need to see the information shown on your hubs help desk /information page also the quiet line test should be totally silent if you can hear any noise then it needs reporting on 151 as a noisy line with no mention of broadband in the call
once you have posted that information the forum members can then help you further
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 9 of 64

OK Found it: DSL uptime shows a reset yesterday, in fact it reset 3 or four times in quick succession around 15:10 yesterday. Sometimes it will reset just once but I frequently get several hub resets in quick sucession.

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ41634170
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 04/07/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 16:03:29
6. Data rate:1149 / 11844
7. Maximum data rate:1149 / 12704
8. Noise margin:5.7 / 5.7
9. Line attenuation:16.9 / 34.8
10. Signal attenuation:16.9 / 27.9
11. Data sent/received:157.0 MB / 1.3 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-63ZR
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-63ZR
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:40:f2:01:0f:8a:ac
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 64

as you have line noise then that needs reporting on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call once the noise is resolved your broadband will improve automatically