Message 11 of 64

Re: Hub 5 keeps resetting

Sorry don't know how that happened!

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 12 of 64

OK thanks; any observations on the noise/attenuation figures? are they good/bad? Been doing a bit of reading & it seems others after having similar problems after a hub osftware upgrade, mine was updated on July 4 but I was having problems way before that.

I’ve also noted that there seems to be a “standard” denia/fob off response from the “India” call centre which I’ve also had 3 times in a week on this problem. This doesn’t really help anyone, certainly not the customer &, worse, it doesn’t cure the problem! Why do BT bother with a call center staffed with people who don’t seem to have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to technical problems? How do I/anyone bypass that lot & get a “proper” engineering response from someone who knows what they are talking about & get a solution that will actually cure the problem! I fear persons with lesser understanding almost certainly give up & seek services elsewhere but I know that won’t necessarily cure problems as the infrastructure is owned by BT/Openreach!

Incidentally hub has reset twice today around 17:00!

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 13 of 64

Hi John (or others); can you explain what actually happens when I report a "noisy line" to BT?  And can you enlighten why I should make no mention of BB? 

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 14 of 64

Red button not working now either!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 64

noise margin is fine your attenuation figure is related to your line length to your street cabinet

when you report a noisy line it is passed to Openreach to fix you do not mention broadband as it is a voice line fault if broadband is mentioned is just passed to the broadband helpdesk again and the actual problem is not resolved as it ends up in the wrong work stack line noise is one of the most regular disconnection problems

If you have not already tried is it is worth doing a factory reset of your hub using the reset button at the back of the hub holding it in for 20 seconds that can also resolve some hub problems
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 16 of 64

Have factory reset the hub this morning so will see if this makes things more stable but the first thing I noticed was my download speed has droped by around 20% but I assume this will pick up again as/if the connection stabillises?

So I rang 151 but it seems I will actually have to talk to someone! You say don't mention the problem is with BB but what will they ask me?  Can you advise what the best "response" from me should be? But if my noise margin is fine as you say, will I gain anything from reporting a "noisy line"?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 64

The "noise margin" is not the same as noise on your line.

Don't offer information about your broadband but if they ask about your broadband be honest but insist that there is noise on your phone calls and that it is that that you want fixed. Once that has been fixed the broadband will also be fixed.

See links about noise margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_margin

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434076#_Toc4087835...

Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio Margin (SNRM) – A variable measured in decibels (dB) that represents the Signal strength to level of noise on the line. BT Retail's (Consumer) default target noise margin is around 6dB, however if the DLM thinks your line is stable enough and in good quality then the DLM may decrease this target to 3dB.

Message 18 of 64

Hi @El-Gringo,

If you can't get the help you need elsewhere please get in touch with my team. You can reach us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods.

Thanks

DanielS

El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 19 of 64

Now now run into a brick wall with this one; the factory reset on the hub doeasn’t seem to have helped, I had a reset this morning around 11:00 & one around midnight last night, I wasn’t around either time so don’t know if they were single or multiple resets. Download speed seems to have gone back up to around 11 Mbps but that could be because all my neighbours are at work I suppose. I reported a noisy line as suggested but they checked & said they could find no fault & to check it myself with a different phone first. I was offered an Enginner visit but warned it would cost me over £100 if they find a faulty on my premises! I’m pretty sure it’s all OK though as the Engineer who came around 2014 dissed all my wired extensions, fitted a new junction box in the loft & a new master socket in the kitchen which is now the only connection point for the phone & BB hub & nothing within the property has changed since. He even gave me a new connection in the box up the road which improved things tremendiously & stoped all the hub resets I was getting back then &, up until now, my phone, BB & TV service has been faultless. I’m now back where I was 3 years ago & wondering if someone from Openreach has been meddling with my connection in the box as there always seems to be someone with their head in the cabinet, perhaps he’s done a similar faviour for someone else but at my expense!

“My BT” still shows this fault as open with an expected fix date of August 15 (yesterday) but, strangly, the fault has been changed from dropped BB connection to can’t make or recive calls so I don’t know what that’s all about.

Anyone any suggestions? It's so frustrating to be back where I was over 3 years ago but why does this stuff always have to get so tedious & complicated? Maybe my next step is to take up the offer of contacting the mods, that's how the problem got solved last time!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 64

Contact the moderators as per the invite above.