cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickiJ
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Hub 6 DNS server fault

I’m hoping that someone here can help as quite clearly BT haven’t a clue. I upgraded to infinity in July last year, all ok until October since then it’s been a nightmare. I’m having a reoccurring fault, displayed on laptop as DNS server not responding. Hub turns on, flashes green, then orange then holds a constant orange light for 60 seconds before turning to constant blue light (operating correctly and connected to internet) I have 3 laptops various mobile phones connect wi-fi and bt YouView box, Xbox & 2 smart TVs connected by Ethernet. ALL devices are affected by this fault, can connect to the hub but no internet. It can work ok for a few days or even a week and then without any changes the internet drops out. I’ve spoken to numerous BT technicianal people even some in the UK and I’ve also had an engineer out, nobody can trace why or how this fault is occurring, although the engineer suggested it could be a software issue but I’ve had 2 new hubs, same thing happened with those straight out the box I’m being passed from pillar to post by BT and getting nowhere.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Hub 6 DNS server fault

Welcome to this user forum.

Its the loss of connection causing the DNS failure.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Do you have any device that may be uploading a lot of data, as that can cause the home hub to exibit those symptoms?

Did you add any new device which may have started the problem?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

The HH 6 isn't very good at all, what hub did you have before you upgraded and do you still have it? If you had the HH5 before then I suggest you go back to that even if only to prove that the fault is/isn't with the HH6

NickiJ
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thank you for your response, I’ve not added anything and I’m not uploading anything, it works fine, good speeds etc and then randomly just drops out completely for days or weeks and then starts working again with no modifications or alterations and has even dropped out whilst I’ve been away, BT have now said that something in the exchange could be knocking my hub out, I really believe it is a hub issue but can’t understand how a new straight out the box hub also has same fault, after what they have just said maybe it’s an exchange issue? Ive got another engineer coming out Friday to investigate further, whatever that means
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Did you check the phone line for noise?

0 Ratings
NickiJ
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I’ve done the quiet line test and no noise between announcements
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

You probably have a high resistance joint somewhere.

Can you please connect things up as shown on this picture, and see if you still get the problem?

Infinity - test socket connections

0 Ratings
NickiJ
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Hi, the link you put on isn’t working so can’t see picture not sure if that’s because I am having to use my phone for internet. The phone line set up is 1 master socket, no extensions and the hub is plugged into filter which is connected to the master socket, bt engineer checked all this on last visit on 4th Feb, no issues found with socket or wiring
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

You would have to be connected to BT Internet to see the picture, as its hosted on a closed user group.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

The picture related to the place you have your microfilter plugged into, as the only way to be certain is to use the test socket, as bad  connections between the front and back, are quite common.

Take a look at the picture when you are connected to your broadband, and see if it makes sense.

0 Ratings