cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Hub dropping connection on GFast

Hi. Looking for help before the hub goes out the window. Upgraded to GFast several weeks ago and connection has been poor since then. When connected it is stable and fast. But now after a few hours it will disconnect from the internet and the hub flashes orange for hours or a day or 2. When it feels like it, it will connect again.

Engineer tested cabinet and connection on outside of house, and they were fine. he didn’t want to come in the house due to coronavirus but did say it is definitely an internal problem. 

is there a known issue with these hubs and GFast? Is there a fix I can do myself? 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Hub dropping connection on GFast

Despite BT telling me there is no issue, still getting disconnections with the following error: 

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]

Sometimes comes back after a few minutes, sometimes can be hours (has been 2 days over Easter weekend)

Happens most nights around 2-3am and randomly throughout the day 

Can anyone offer some advice please?  

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

@n11ck 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Product code:Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+091298+1832015064
Firmware version:v0.17.01.12301-BT
Firmware updated:Wed Mar 18 14:04:12 2020
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019
DSL uptime:0 days,06 Hours35 Mins37 Secs
Data rate:6.695 Mbps / 109.54 Mbps
Maximum data rate:6.749 Mbps / 109.259 Mbps
Noise margin:3.1 / 6.8
Line attenuation:0.0 / 44.8
Signal attenuation:0.0 / 44.8
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:129.5 MB Uploaded / 1.6 GB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-26A22M
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-26A22M
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)
Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On

Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Hi Keith. I tried this a couple of weeks ago and it was quiet
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@n11ck wrote:
Hi Keith. I tried this a couple of weeks ago and it was quiet

Its worth checking at the time you see the disconnects, because you could have an intermittent noise fault.

I assume that an NTE5c was fitted with a MK4 VDSL faceplate, when it was installed?

0 Ratings
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Will try next time it drops...
5C was fitted - was a bit of a mess though - original master was in a bedroom, not where incoming feed enters house. Master was moved to living room at rear of house.
The engineer modified all sockets in the house, I have checked them all yesterday to understand what he did:

All the feed wires appear to be crimped ok with jelly crimps.
None of the sockets other than the 5C are connected to the 2 feed wires, this looks like it just loops around the house to the 5C. The 5C is not connected to any other wire - they are just loose in the socket back plate.
From memory, the other wires are still connected to the front of house (incoming) socket
0 Ratings
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe I was told the 5C is what they use for the G Fast connections?
Does the noise attenuation look right to you - 0.0?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

The wiring sound like a bit of a mess, as the high frequencies that G.Fast uses, does require good wiring to avoid picking up any interference which could cause disconnections.

Normally the 5C would need to be located at the first point where the line comes into the house, and the home hub plugged in at that point.

Nothing else must be connected to the line before that point, and all extensions must be connected to the terminal block behind the faceplate.

I would not worry about the signal attenuation, as you would be close to the cabined to get a connection anyway.

You should not have any wires connected to your line, before the 5C, otherwise they are going to pick up noise.

I would be concerned about the way your installation was done, as I would have expected a direct cable from your incoming line, to your 5C.

0 Ratings
n11ck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Do you think it is worth disconnecting all wires connected to other sockets and leaving the feed wires crimped and looped to the 5C? Was nervous about pulling all the wires out of the other sockets.

We don't use any other socket or devices, and the hub needs to be in the living room for the BT TV box to be connected by cable. 

I was considering asking to be downgraded to superfast 2 again in the hope it would improve.

0 Ratings