cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveW84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Huge drop in speed over the past 3-4 weeks

As it seems many others have been posting about, I have noticed a dramatic decrease in speed and overall service from BT over the last month or so (even prior to everybody being stuck at home).

I believe I was quoted at getting around 75 Mbps and have been getting speeds of around 60-70 Mbps up until this issue arose, however I have been stuck on 10-12 Mbps for some time now. This wouldn't be too bad and I understand there may be issues due to CoVid-19, however I am also experiencing huge latency spikes and disconnects from my mobile, causing video conferencing to be a disaster and online gaming to be almost pointless.

I raised a fault on 26/3/20 which was somehow marked as fixed not long afterwards without anything changing. Since then, I have found it impossible to complete the BT Troubleshooter (gets stuck at 99% forever), as such I am unable to raise a new fault.

Attached images that are requested regularly:

BT Screenshot.JPGSpeed.JPGRouter Info.JPGTroubleshooting.JPG

I have done a quiet line test using a corded landline, all clear.

Is there anything else I can do on my end, or will I have to bother BT on the phone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
DaveW84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Huge drop in speed over the past 3-4 weeks

Hi Keith,

I'm confused - you say you've moved my message, but when I click on the link, it takes me to somebody else's post.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

He moved the post by the other user that was on your thread so that they had their own thread to avoid confusion with yours.

DaveW84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Ah, I see.

Thanks for clearing that up.

0 Ratings
DaveW84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Any ideas, guys?

If it's just that I have to ring BT directly as there's nothing else I can do on my end, that's fine, but I'd rather not bother them if I don't need to. The connection has been unstable again today and is still a lot slower than what I used to get which has caused a lot of problems as I'm now WFH.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 13

Any noise on your line? 17070 option 2 best with corded phone.

0 Ratings
DaveW84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for your reply, pippincp.

No noise on the line. The connection has felt more stable today, with less dramatic spikes and no disconnects (yet...), however my speeds are still far below what I would expect, and means my partner and child can no longer stream anything via Netflix/Amazon Prime/YouTube while I am working, as I am using VOIP & Microsoft Teams and it has a huge impact on the quality of the calls.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

the connection time from stats is only 1 day are or have you been having serious problems with your connection dropping?  I'd your connection more stable now or if not have you tried using the test socket with a filter to try an stabiles your connection. Unless you can get a stable connection your speed is not going to improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DaveW84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks imjolly.

Yes, I have had disconnects regularly with the router completely dropping out. As I mentioned, this hasn't happened for 2 days now, which is great, however I am still very unhappy with the speeds that I am now getting - there doesn't appear to be any reason for the sudden, drastic drop from 65~ to 12 Mbps.

I have tried with the test socket and filter, same results.

Do you think it would be worth my time calling to discuss with BT directly? As I mentioned previously, I have tried their diagnostic tools with no luck - I left the test running for almost 8 hours today, still stuckat 99%. Their "Test my speed" option on the help section actually worked today, but it told me I had 12 Mbps and that was a "good speed", which I wholeheartedly disagree with, considering how much I spend on this package.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

The drastic drop in connection speed is the result of the numeous drops in connection which DLM saw correctly as an unstable connection and took action by dropping speed to try and stabilise your line

connecting to test socket will not show speed improvement at outset but I was hoping that it if left there would stabilise your connection.  If you could get 10/14 days stable then speed may start to improve. The help desk would only reset your hub which would not help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.