cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Huge drop in speed

Our smart hub started kicking us out repeatedly at the beginning of Oct. I went online and it said I had reported a fault on 8th Dec (which I hadn’t). It showed that fault was at BT end so I contacted via chat. When I told them what it said they just said oh and continued with their script. So it was monitored for 24 hours, next day woman said she had reset it and stability and speed would improve. It didn’t so we contacted again. This woman said there was no problem but would send new smart hub. New smart hub arrives and there is no difference. Our speed has dropped from 80 mbps down and 20 up to 18 down and 20 up. Engineer booked but they cancelled saying there was a fault their end and it was fixed. Received text to say if not resolved in 48
hrs to text back. We did and got no response. Used chat facility today and woman hardly said a word and didn’t tell me what she was doing. She then phoned and told me to close the chat which I did and she quickly mumbled something about their department and said bye and hung up. So I have no idea what is happening. Have checked account and there is no open fault so I presume I am going to have to contact them again. My internet connection still drops several times a day and download speed still at 18 instead of 80. What do I do now?
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Huge drop in speed

are you using the test socket with a new filter to see if that helps by eleiminating your internal wiring  if you have extension sockets check they have no dial tone

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

post stats from hh6  advanced settings then technical log administration

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

We have a Master Socket 5C with built in filter, does that make any difference?   Line test has no crackling. 

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ63196537

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

03-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 23 Minutes 46 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 18.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

26523 / 57716

Noise margin:

9.8 dB / 23.8 dB

Line attenuation:

16.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

16386 MB Uploaded / 20490 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-PQM5

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-PQM5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

88:A6:C6:03:BE:19

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number  on Exchange EAST KILBRIDE is served by Cabinet 47

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateWBC FTTC 18x2 Provide AvailabilityWBC FTTC 18x2 Sim AvailabilityLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date       ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date     Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date       Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)77.2552018.349Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)67.441.82012.835Available----Yes--
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8.5Available------Yes
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7.5Up to 0.56.5 to 8.5Available------Yes
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 5.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available------Yes
Fixed Rate1----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapN       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN       
Last Test Date18-05-2017       
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

I would try connecting to the test socket with a filter which is behind the detachable bottom half. It comes off simply by squeezing both sides. If you can then post new hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

This is the hub info using the test socket with a filter. 

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ63196537

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

03-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 7 Minutes 0 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 18.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

27000 / 57751

Noise margin:

10.3 dB / 23.8 dB

Line attenuation:

16.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

0 MB Uploaded / 1 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-PQM5

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-PQM5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

88:A6:C6:03:BE:19

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

If you have extension sockets whether in use or not can you check that there is no dial tone. If no dial tone then you need to phone 151 and get engineer visit as I can't see what more you can do

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

We have one upstairs and there is no dial tone. Will have to try 151 and hope they will send engineer out. Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

If you have problems getting engineer using 151 post back and can see if mods can help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

This issue is still ongoing.  We had an engineer out who tried tightening up connections at various boxes in the street and reset our line.  It started kicking us out again within a few hours and gradually over 2 weeks our speed dropped by half.   We phoned and they sent out another engineer and when he came out today he said he didn't know why they had requested the type of engineer he is when we have already had somebody out etc. (I can't remember what type of engineer he said he was).  There was  no fault showing up during his tests, though when he was as the street boxes today we never lost our connection at any point so not sure what he was doing. 

I also tried to run diagnostics on the BT website but it says I have already partially requested this and didn't complete.  The only button is an 'expired' one and there is no option to clear this to allow me to do anything via the website now.

Not sure what to do from here as todays engineer only moved the power plug for our router from an extension into a wall socket.  If I phone again in 2 weeks time if it continues to kick us out and drop speed over that period, then I am going to get the same type of engineer as I had today out and they are unable to find the fault or do anything to help. 

Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thanks. 

0 Ratings