cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Hyperoptic will supply fibre but BT/Openreach wont?

Hello all, I live in a new build with more than 280 homes most of which have been completed already.  The residents here have a dedicated website forum and resident's association and many people have complained about our download speeds and lack of fibre broadband.

Our local exchange is enabled and other residents around the area already get fibre.

Contacting Openreach has not been useful and using the broadband checker mentions my cabinet (cabinet 73 on MITCHAM exchange) but no fibre.

Here is my question though, we have approached hyperoptic and they have now confirmed there is enough interest to fibre up the appartment blocks.  They also have the relevant permissions from block owners, estate owners and management companies to do this.  Why is it then Openreach/BT cannot give us fibre and this other company can?

Like Openreach/BT, Hyperoptic are a business and need to justify costs and if they can, surely BT can?

Any thoughts? can anyone shed any light?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Hyperoptic will supply fibre but BT/Openreach wont?

Details of costs and margins will be very different for different companies.

Openreach is already overcommitted (overreach?) given the number of trained staff is has and (semi)trained staff it can subcontract. You will see the significant number of no-shows on this thread as evidence of that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
gman99
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Hyperoptic work differently, they usually hit large residential areas like high rises, flats etc and will provide their service based on signup/demand only.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the quick replies, they make sense.  I guess I'd rather have a choice of ISPs instead of just Hyperoptic so not an ideal position to be in.

0 Ratings