Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cookiesnfooty
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

I believe I am being traffic managed

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows what I can do, I have the BT infinity unlimited 2 and my speed is normally 78mb.

However it is slowing down to 26-30mb after I download a fair bit of data from my online drive, when I signed up they claimed no slowdown as do the website offer. Does anyone know how to get BT to believe me as i keep logging a fault they keep saying no issue it gets back to normal after a few days then slow again after I retrieve more data and backup the system.

I am using speedtest.btwholesale.com as a speed test and testing downloads that normally can max out the connection so I strongly believe this is what is happening.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: I believe I am being traffic managed

If you are on a Totally Unlimited package you will not have any upload or download limits on your speed, if you are on an Unlimited Package you could have P2P throttling on your speed. You can check for P2P throttling by doing a Glasnost test here

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

This however should only effect your speed with P2P and only when you are actually using P2P.

If you are checking your speed when downloading data this will effect the results that you get. You should do a speed check when nothing else is using the connection.

If your speed is dropping after you have downloaded data from your online drive it could be a fault with the connection to the drive. What online drive is it? Is it BT Cloud or other cloud drive or is it a NAS drive?

0 Ratings
Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

I agree, BT Infinity has been absolutely dump for me the past few months, dropouts, low speeds, lag in games. Engineers come out and pretend they've fixed it.

Horrific company, can't wait for contract to end and move to Zen Fibre, mate did the same and said it's the best thing he's done.

It's obvious to see there's congestion problems in some areas as during the night it's mostly fine when less people are online.

0 Ratings
cookiesnfooty
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

This is not just affecting p2p. I use Bitcasa for online storage but this effects all data and if I download a movie from sky go to watch my speeds are slowed, I report a fault and a few days later speed goes back up and then I download again and speed drops .

My profile is 78+mb down and 19+ up

My actual speed tests are about 28 down and 16 up.

What is this all about???

0 Ratings
cookiesnfooty
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

So this morning I had a BT engineer visit and they could not replicate a fault. Unfortunately at the time of writing the speed issue was not happening as there are periods of time that the speed goes normal.

Would there be anyone who can offer tech advice on this issue?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

are you using a wired or wireless connection ?
0 Ratings
cookiesnfooty
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Come on don't answer like the drones on tech support clearly wired.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

we are trying to hep you you did not post if you you were using wired or wireless connections please remember this is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go directly to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not all posts are read

the speed you quote are like many posts here when wireless problems are involved that is why the question was asked
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Could it be a problem with Bitcasa

I don't know how you have it set up but could it be working in the background doing backups etc which would effect your speeds.

See this link for slow downloads

http://feedback.bitcasa.com/forums/184524-bitcasa-feature-requests-suggestions/suggestions/4079146-f...-

The Bitcasa forum link which might help you in case it is Bitcasa causing the problem.

http://forums.bitcasa.com/

0 Ratings