cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

I can't get fibre broadband but my neighbour can

So I called BT to set up broadband and they advised they needed to open the phone line for me and set up standard broadband before upgrading to fibre. The speed checker advised I could only get 1-3mb but that may be an error as the phone line wasn't connected. They checked my apartment neighbour and they have fibre speeds of 128mb so I will be able to get fibre and should get similar speeds. Based off this conversation I ordered standard broadband on the basis that I could upgrade to fibre after 24 hours.

Now my broadband is all set up I called them to upgrade to fibre and the agent advised I couldn't get fibre and then couldn't give me an explanation as to why my neighbour gets 128mb with BT but I currently only get 6mb. I work from home so need minimum speeds of 30mb 

Can someone please explain how my neighbour who is 2 metres from me can get these speeds and I can't?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: I can't get fibre broadband but my neighbour can

It takes longer than 24hrs for the Openreach database to be updated.

Enter your phone number HERE and post the result. Remove number before posting.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Telephone Number on Exchange SOLIHULL is served by Cabinet 60

(Picture attached)

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30 Nov 2012the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.BT check.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

The database hasn't yet been fully updated. It should be by next Friday.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Thanks, I’ll check again Friday

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Hi, I have checked again and the same results are still showing?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Perhaps you can show the full results for your number and your neighbours number ( if you know it ) from the DSL checker, (the address option  isn’t as accurate but obviously you may not know your neighbours (BT) number) ...don’t forget to delete the phone numbers when posting the images

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Seems odd that you anyone would quote you  128Mb , as it’s neither a headline speed nor an average speed for a package that BT sell.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

My property on address checker:

Cabinet 60

BT address check 53.PNG

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30 Nov 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Neighbours property on address check:

Cabinet 71

BT address check 52.PNG

FTTP is not available.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30 Nov 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

To clarify, I wasn't quoted 128 speeds, the agent did a speed check on my neighbours address and advised they were getting 128 but a check on my property showed 3 (at best I get 6).

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

according to dslchecker you are on cab 60 and neighbour 71 - might explain why you cannot get fibre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I naively thought as we were neighbours we would be connected to the same cabinet. 

Is there anything that can be done about the speed I'm getting? I need 30+ really as I work from home. When I call BT they can't tell me anything other than the system says I can get 1-3mb and that's it.

0 Ratings