Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGreyStrummer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

I must be a masochist?

Go to solution

After rejoining BT in October of 2015 and experiencing horrendous problems (See ... https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Re-joining-BT-sadly-one-of-the-biggest-regr...), things seemed to smooth out.

Several weeks ago, gullible as ever, and after vowing to leave BT at the earliest "end of contract" opportunity, I renewed my contract for another 18 months. This was after speaking to a BT representative, that claimed that the new hub was the best thing since sliced bread, and that all speed issues have been improved. I've just gone to use my broadband, and find that the speed has again dropped, this time reading just 13.4 Mb. This is a regular afternoon occurence in my area .... when am I going to learn? I appreciate that I was warned that speeds would drop at certain times of the day, but not this dramatically ... I was guaranteed 78 Mb!!! Absolutely pathetic service from BT as usual.

Roll on the next 18 months, they are not going to go fast enough ... then it'll be finally goodbye!! And this time I'll stick to my word!! 

Live as if you were to die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever. (Mahatma Gandhi.....)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: I must be a masochist?

Go to solution
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
A pity you did not read the many forum posts about the hub 6 and its many problems

Also your guaranteed speed is the connection speed to the hub not the download speed shown by speed tests
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
You wouldn't have been guaranteed 78mbps.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
You wouldn't have been guaranteed 78mbps.

Correct.

In fairness the OP could have just come on here to have a rant just as some others do which is OK.

Let's wait and see if he actually wants assistance.

0 Ratings
TheGreyStrummer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

To be perfectly honest, my learned fellow Forum member (pippincp) is not that far from the truth. But if one considers my experiences since re-joining BT, even my hardest critic would not deny me a little "rant".

The main objective of this post is just to bring the inconsistency with regard to my broadband speed to the notice of other members.

I ask these questions ...

• If a large number of my neighbours use their domestic electronic appliances at the same time of the day, does my electricity supply suffer, and my domestic voltage drop dramatically? NO!!
  • If a large number of my neighbours use their various domestic gas appliances at the same time of the day, does my gas pressure drop dramatically? NO!!
  • If a large number of my neighbours take a shower, or wash their cars at the same time, does my water pressure drop dramatically? NO!!

Why then at peak periods, normally weekday afternoons and early evenings, should I lose up to 75% of my broadband speed; the reason for which from BT representatives, is the increased usage in my immediate area at certain times of the day. I could understand a small reduction in speed, but 75% ????

Following my creation of this post, my "wireless" connection returned to the expected 60+ Mb later that evening, so there's obviously nothing wrong with my internal domestic connections, or router settings. However, one must remember that the BT Infinity 2 service is not cheap, and they should maintain higher speeds as a duty of service, regardless of the time of day and public demand.

With regard to the previous comments from the forums' Distinguished Sage's, their allegiance to BT is honourable, but somewhat expected, and not really that helpful to the likes of myself. The comment from Distinguished Sage John46, "A pity you did not read the many forum posts about the hub 6 and its many problems" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence with regard to the product.

In answer to Webby ... "you wouldn't have been guaranteed 78mbps" ... the person who sold me the new 18 month contract was a little bit more optimistic than you, and claimed that the new router would perform far better and faster that its' predecessor model, both hard wired and wireless.

As pippincp suggested to other members, "Let's wait and see if he actually wants assistance" ... No, I do not thanks very much, I believe that it is a problem I will have to live with, at least for the next 18 months.

"Rant" over!!!

Thanks for listening .....

Live as if you were to die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever. (Mahatma Gandhi.....)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@TheGreyStrummer wrote:

To be perfectly honest, my learned fellow Forum member (pippincp) is not that far from the truth. But if one considers my experiences since re-joining BT, even my hardest critic would not deny me a little "rant".

The main objective of this post is just to bring the inconsistency with regard to my broadband speed to the notice of other members.

I ask these questions ...

• If a large number of my neighbours use their domestic electronic appliances at the same time of the day, does my electricity supply suffer, and my domestic voltage drop? NO!! In fact it does
  • If a large number of my neighbours use their various domestic gas appliances at the same time of the day, does my gas pressure drop? NO!! Probably
  • If a large number of my neighbours take a shower, or wash their cars at the same time, does my water pressure drop dramatically? NO!! It does

Why then at peak periods, normally weekday afternoons and early evenings, should I lose up to 75% of my broadband speed; the reason for which from BT representatives, is the increased usage in my immediate area at certain times of the day. I could understand a small reduction in speed, but 75% ????

Following my creation of this post, my "wireless" connection returned to the expected 60+ Mb later that evening, so there's obviously nothing wrong with my internal domestic connections, or router settings. However, one must remember that the BT Infinity 2 service is not cheap, and they should maintain higher speeds as a duty of service, regardless of the time of day and public demand.

With regard to the previous comments from the forums' Distinguished Sage's, their allegiance to BT is honourable, but somewhat expected, and not really that helpful to the likes of myself. The comment from Distinguished Sage John46, "A pity you did not read the many forum posts about the hub 6 and its many problems" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence with regard to the product.

In answer to Webby ... "you wouldn't have been guaranteed 78mbps" ... the person who sold me the new 18 month contract was a little bit more optimistic than you, and claimed that the new router would perform far better and faster that its' predecessor model, both hard wired and wireless. He was just giving you the marketing bull****  78Mbps is the absolute fastest speed attainable and is never guaranteed.

As pippincp suggested to other members, "Let's wait and see if he actually wants assistance" ... No, I do not thanks very much, I believe that it is a problem I will have to live with, at least for the next 18 months.

"Rant" over!!!

Thanks for listening .....

0 Ratings
TheGreyStrummer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

With regard to your inserted comments about my domestic services during peak use, I conceded/accepted  that ... my voltage does not drop"dramatically", my gas pressure does not drop "dramatically", my water pressure does not drop "dramatically" ... my broadband speed DOES drop "dramatically.

Again, you comment regarding the salespersons' claims "He was just giving you the marketing bull****  78Mbps is the absolute fastest speed attainable and is never guaranteed" doesn't fill me with confidence, you cerainly have no allegiance to BT representatives.

Sadly, this is another typical response from a BT supporter.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@TheGreyStrummer wrote:

Again, you comment regarding the salespersons' claims "He was just giving you the marketing bull****  78Mbps is the absolute fastest speed attainable and is never guaranteed" doesn't fill me with confidence, you cerainly have no allegiance to BT representatives.

Sadly, this is another typical response from a BT supporter.

Just telling you how it is. As you seem to contradict yourself, I've no idea what your final comment means. I am certainly no BT supporter, I'm just a customer like you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
To support licquorice 's last post this is a current link to the BT,com web site and 78Mbps is not mentionted https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/?s_intcid=con_fly_pns_bbpkgs speeds are sold as UP to 76Mbps not guaranteed at all
0 Ratings