cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markob53
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

I think i'm having speed issues 3 days into BT Infinity 2 Installation.

Hi everyone, 

Had BT Infinity 2 for around 3 days and i've been saying incosistent speeds across the devices connected to the network, my biggest concern is my PC located upstairs (the home hub 5 is located in the hallway)

When i got home from work the day it had been installed i instantly ran a speed test on my Galaxy S7, i recieved about 58mb download speed and i was pretty pleased with that, but when i ran the speed test on my PC i was getting between 30-40mbps, every device in our house in on wireless until i can get everything wired up and i believe the wireless adapter in my PC is using the 2.4ghz band as the wireless adapter is not dual band.

There have been ocasions when i have seen the speed go as high as 60mb but it's very rare and often brief, i.e if i run the test right away again it goes back down. Just now i have done a speed test at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and it came back with 32.37 Download and 9.20 Upload, Ping: 19.63.

Here are some other stats from my home hub page

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ60515446
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 11/05/16
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 03:30:07
6. Data rate: 12780 / 61903
7. Maximum data rate: 12306 / 60262
8. Noise margin: 5.8 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 25.8 / 20.6
10. Signal attenuation: 25.7 / 19.7
11. Data sent/received: 377.1 MB / 1.1 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: No

I have my PC, my girlfriends laptop, my phone, my girlfriends phone, Sky an Xbox One & a PS4 all on the network, althought the above test was performed with all of those devices inactive (i.e not downloading)

Just would like some light shed on this if possible, is there cause for concern? could it be simply that wireless interference is causing it or something like that? my line shows it's capable of 60mb so to get nearly half of that seems a bit low, even on wifi. My Xbox & PS4 speeds also show as quite low, Xbox showing around 20mb (although this could be an Xbox issue)

Could it be a line fault or something more serious? maybe i just need a better wireless card, any ideas? 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: I think i'm having speed issues 3 days into BT Infinity 2 Installation.

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
markob53
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I have turned off smart setup but i haven't split the networks yet, however, if my wireless adapter in my PC is 2.4ghz only then would splitting the networks achieve anything if my PC is incapable to access the 5ghz network and therefore cause no disturbance in my connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you're testing wirelessly, then expect flucutations.

If you want to test the true speed of your connection, run a speedtest using an Ethernet cable connecting the computer and the hub directly.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

many have found wireless problems with he networks combined and splitting has helped but your choice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You should check that the wireless network card on your PC has up to date drivers. Use the card or computer manufaturer's website and not Windows Update as Windows drivers can be out of date.

You should also try switching off "smart wireless" on the Homehub and give the 2.4GHz frequency a fixed channel. You can get a wireless scanner app for your phone to check to see what channel is the least congested or you could select channel 13.

It is not normally used by UK routers so is usually the least congested. You may get some warnings when you select it but just ignore them, your devices won't come to any harm.

See Link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

0 Ratings
yan101
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I think the fastest youll ever get on 2.4ghz "n" is 25 to 30mb/s. I also thought i had issues at one point. Until i read somewhere that the fastest youll ever get on 2.4ghz "n" is about 30 or so mb. Buy a 5ghz dongle on 802.11"ac" or use powerline adapters for full speed
0 Ratings