cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
degil8
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

IP Profile after Contract Renewal

I recently renewed my contract (approx 4 weeks ago), but my Broadband was accidently downgraded from BT Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited to BT Superfast Fibre Unlimited. I hadn't asked for this, and obviously it dropped my speeds from between 70 and 75Mb/s down / 20Mb/s up to 51Mb/s down / 10Mb/s up. This happened at around 5 am on the 1st day of the new contract.

Having spent two weeks getting my contract corrected, I'm still waiting for my speed to improve. The account correction was applied approx two weeks ago and the upload changed to 20Mb/s the next day. The download speed has not changed - it feeels like my account has been nailed to download speed of BT Superfast Fibre 1. (Good job I'm not paranoid - otherwise might think someone was out to get me Smiley Wink ).

I, like most people, lack patience in this regard so I've been restarting my Smart hub (6A) occasionally, in a futile attempt to correct the issue.

On my last reboot my Smart Hub reported the following:

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=66634Kbps, Up Rate=23211Kbps, SNR Margin Down=7.30dB, SNR Margin Up=6.30dB

but a Data rate of 20.00Mbps / 55.30 Mbps.

My quoted download speed (finally) is between 74Mbps and 80Mbps, but a guaranteed minimum of 68Mbps which is close to that reported by the VDSL Link Up event.

According to the BT Wholesale diagnostic (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) my IP profile is 53.53Mbps, again consistent with the Superfast Fibre 1 broadband.

To me it looks like my profile is stuck - which may be why BT have arranged for an engineer visit, later this week.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Is it a case I'm just not being patient enough (its been nearly 4 weeks)?

Sending an engineer to correct the issue seems like an expensive solution. Surely if the IP profile can be downgraded from the H/E, it can be upgraded in the same way - or am I completely missing something.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: IP Profile after Contract Renewal

your profile is based on your connection speed and not the other way round.  Your constant resetting of the hub is actually making matters worse rather than improving the speed. You need a stable connection 

you need to wait for engineer and if you are lucky get him to reset the DLM  which should take your connection back to the start and hopefully get speed back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rvwill48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I've got the same problem.  My (paid for) download speed should be 55Mbps, line is capable of 68Mbps, but my maximum download speed is 32Mbps.  I too have a guaranteed minimum download speed in my contract of 49Mbps. My IP Profile is set at 33.86Mbps

Have just had to arrange the third engineer visit because the previous two, (this morning and last Friday) didn't turn up.  So good luck with that one!

0 Ratings
degil8
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Despite my thoughts to the contrary, it turned out there was a fault on my line - granted it was not showing any of the usual symptons. What do I know!

Apparently the tests showed my line was "good", but resetting the DLM didn't resolve the problem. Fortunately the engineer persisted trying to find the fault, and ended up switching my connection to an unused twisted pair. He was outside in about 5 degrees, pulling manhole covers and testing cables for quite some time - and I really appreciate his efforts as I'm currently getting a better speed than I've ever had.

Good Luck

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rvwill48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

That’s good to know. So there may be light at the end of the tunnel (manhole)!  I hope the engineer marked up your previous twisted pair as faulty.  My problem is still not resolved, third engineer visit cancelled the day before it was due. No prior notification, it was only by chance that I logged into the MyBT app to track the fault and saw a ‘fault fixed’ and ‘visit cancelled’ entries.  Fault not fixed though.  I’m really grateful that a couple of moderators have taken up my plight and are liaising with BT Wholesale et al on my behalf.

0 Ratings