cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

IP Profile dropped by half after a year of it settled no problems??

Hey all, my IP Profile has been consistantly 4.4MBps (So about 44 meg) and i have always been able to achieve literally the max speed for my IP Profile. However about two weeks ago all my speeds suddenly dropped to about 20 megs, i thought maybe it was just the weather so left it, tried resetting router and got nothing. However i've just checked my IP profile and its set at 21.68Mbps now?

Why would this happen? I Feel like i've literally just been shunted after a year, maybe to entice other users in with better speeds? at the cost of my own speed.

Really am not impressed. There is no reason i can think of for my speeds to literally half. If this was within the stabalization period i could almost understand but ive had my internet now for nearly a full year at the same speed, and now a year later it halves (After it running full speed for like a year with no problems?)

I use my net a lot to sync my work materials with my home office, so am constantly maxing out my download speed quite often, so this really is a pain.

Also in the past few days ive noticed my net disconnects for about a minute sometimes for seemingly no reason.

Also my upload speed has stayed the same, always had about 7 up. (From a possible 20), Download speed on bt speedtest basically matches the IP Profile 21.62/21.68 which is just kinda proof i can obviously go over the IP profile (And the fact i was doing so for a whole year of course)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
teetees
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: IP Profile dropped by half after a year of it settled no problems??

Join the club mate.

I have noticed a steady (stealthy)? decline in my profile - which was around a reasonably steady 33Mbps until just before Christmas. Today it is down to 28Mbps. When I first took out my infinity package BT were advertising speeds of "up to" 40Mbps - something I have never achieved since day one, but now I am getting just over half that I am NOT a happy bunny. Currently they are offering speeds of "up to" 38Mbps.for that package, so if you signed up when they were offering up to 40Mbps you are already being ripped off. BT seem to think nobody will notice if they gradually - sneakily in my humble opinion - reduce actual speeds compared to what they say we will get. I just used their speed checker for someone thinking of buying into infinity (using my phone number) and it returned a result of 31.5Mbps. but as I have already said two minutes previous I used the BT Speedchecker and got 28Mbps.  I'm sure there are thousands of people who, like me, feel cheated by BT, that since the introduction of infinity the speeds are slowly but surely reducing. Very galling when you are locked into an eighteen month contract. Also - in my opinion - very cavalier of BT when you think how many options punters have now, since I for one will be doing some serious shopping around when my sentence is up! You could argue - and I'm sure a lot of the people who frequent these forums will argue that "speed isn't really a big issue, don't be so picky," etc. etc., but in my book you should get what you sign up for, and more importantly what you are paying for - not a slow, sure, sneaky reduction all round (apart from the price of course). What does everyone else think?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sahotaquack
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Mines jumped up, when max was 40 my IP profile was 38 and then when i upgraded to the 80mb I was told i would be able to get 68mb but yet i was profiled 42mb. Just 2 weeks ago have noticed i am profiled and getting 68mb.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Any reduction in ip profile you see will be down to a line fault or interference from other lines or sources. Why do people instantly accuse bt of slowing them down to provide speed for other people??? This comes from people who do not understand how things work. Call up BT and get an engineer to fix your line.

0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Deathtrap - if only it was that simple pal, if only..............................................................

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

It is...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Hi

The reason  your speed has dropped is because of  a  noise issue this has caused the DLM to reduce your IP profile to stabilise the line all you need to do  is leave the connection alone  for up to 2 weeks and once the DLM see the line as stable again  it should start to rise again 

0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Deathtrap - not in my experience sadly, it has left me with a very bitter taste and when my renewal is up around September, I will have to think very carefully about my options.

My speeds have dropped from on average, 67 meg before my power outage in October to 33meg now, but nothing is being done.  In what other line of business would this be acceptable?

According to BT there are no faults with my line.

Thanks for the response.

0 Ratings