cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonabob87
Contributor
Message 11 of 30

Re: IP Profile lowered AGAIN

This is what I've had, no recent disconnects or anything, just woke up one day and found my internet was running slower. It's infuriating but I'm happy to wait and see if it rights itself in the two weeks it apparently takes.
0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 12 of 30

@Jonabob87 wrote:
This is what I've had, no recent disconnects or anything, just woke up one day and found my internet was running slower. It's infuriating but I'm happy to wait and see if it rights itself in the two weeks it apparently takes.

This why you need to purchase a second HG612 and unlock it and use the HG612 Modem stats as it takes samples of your line stats every 1 minute 24/7 as long as you keep the PC on 24/7 then the graphs will show you if and when noise creeps in during the wee small hours while your asleep or when at work there is a reason why your IP profile chances over time and it's not Openreach manually ajusting your line it's the DLM your VDSL modem talks to the DLM and vice versa every 15 minutes and during the evenings the noise will rise it's a fine balance Signal to Noise Margin, the signal from your VDSL Modem will need to be louder than the noise on your line and thats what the DLM does it lowers the noise so the Signal can pass through from the modem outwards and inwards  but that meens it needs to lower the sync speed and other parts so you can use the internet and keep down the errored seconds and if it see's to many then the DLM will also click in to compensate, (Noise and Error seconds) it's complex bit of kit but it's there to help out !

So if you don't have noise on your line you will see good consistant speed

If you have to much noise and not enough SNR magin you will get slower speeds in the evenings or if it goes below a certain point you may start to see disconnections.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 30

NewtronStar,

I can`t agree with you on this,as I do not use any BT devices and can see all of my stats at anytime.

I use the internet most evenings and all night most nights,and can say that it is not noise or crosstalk or a bad line that is keepng my profile 14Mbps below the 77.44 that it was at for nearly 18 months,it is the DLM that imo can and does get controlled by OR or BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 14 of 30

DLM automatically adjusts your line in response to errors and disconnections.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 15 of 30

@ironman123 wrote:

NewtronStar,

I can`t agree with you on this,as I do not use any BT devices and can see all of my stats at anytime.

I use the internet most evenings and all night most nights,and can say that it is not noise or crosstalk or a bad line that is keepng my profile 14Mbps below the 77.44 that it was at for nearly 18 months,it is the DLM that imo can and does get controlled by OR or BT.

So you have lost 14Mbps from a Max of 77.44Mbps in 2 years thats not bad, you could ask the Mods on the forums to tell BTOpenreach for a DLM reset that should keep you going for another 2 years but you will also find that your line (copper or aluminium) will degrade (corrosion) mostley at the joins over time due to weathering thats the problem with FTTC we are still using old 1980's tech at the 2nd stage (Copper) until we get FTTP then we will always be in sights of the DLM 

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 30

I agree that the DLM as far as we are concerned is automatic,and that it reacts to any noise,disconnections etc on the lines.

But it can and does get controlled by OR or BT because it can be reset remotely by them and proberly other setting can be made that way too.

But as for the noise etc,we are forgetting that all electrical and electromagnetic components give out strong magnetic fields of different strengths and directions,for example all cabs have cooling motors which have coils [copper] and also transformers with copper coils.

The problem is that without good insulation and shielding the EMI [REIN] from those internal components can also mess with the DLM circuits which should be shielded and insulated from those other components.

Also humidity within the cabinet can also mess with the DLM.

So imo if the cab it`s self if not properly mantained it can be a bad souce of noise etc,and as most cabs are next to main roads or busy highways the interference from passing traffic can be very high.

My lines are new [they were renewed about 1 year back],and go underground all the way to the cab.

Edited to correct the misspelling of REIN.

0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 17 of 30

ironman123 wrote

The problem is that without good insulation and shielding the EMI [RIEN] from those internal components can also mess with the DLM circuits which should be shielded and insulated from those other components.

Also humidity within the cabinet can also mess with the DLM.

So imo if the cab it`s self if not properly mantained it can be a bad souce of noise etc,and as most cabs are next to main roads or busy highways the interference from passing traffic can be very high.

My lines are new [they were renewed about 1 year back],and go underground all the way to the cab.

Don't forget Internel REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) at the Home keep the VDSL Modem away from flat Screen tv's PC's xbox's and Digital TV freeview boxes the list goes on.

ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 30

I agree with you Newton,and have checked with my own meters that REIN within my home is not effecting any of my network devices or cables [I do not use wireless], just cat6 ethernet to cat6 1Gbit ports.

But I do not have a big deal problem myself,my posts are just mainly for the OP who is puzzled about his/her IP Profile being lowered for no apparent reason.

Sorry about the misspelling of REIN in my first post it was a typo.:)

0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 19 of 30

@ironman123 wrote:

I agree with you Newton,and have checked with my own meters that REIN within my home is not effecting any of my network devices or cables [I do not use wireless], just cat6 ethernet to cat6 1Gbit ports.

But I do not have a big deal problem myself,my posts are just mainly for the OP who is puzzled about his/her IP Profile being lowered for no apparent reason.

It's all good advice for the OP to do the checks first before they ask for an OpenReach engineer to check the line and also there premises for a fault, it can save you money if you DIY before the engineer finds a fault in your premises Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jonabob87
Contributor
Message 20 of 30

I actually had them send out an engineer previously when the line originally went from 75mbps to 50mbps given the guy who installed it told me he felt I lived close enough to my green cabinet that the connection wouldn't really drop much at all. I live about 100-150meters away from my green cabinet by way of road.

The engineer BT sent out when I phoned them (because at this point their BT Infinity site still said I would be getting about 65mbps down and 20mbps up) said he'd reset the ip config and never did. I didn't bother following that up as I felt that it was probably fine having a 50mbps connection given the previous BB connection had between 4mbps at the very most.

It just feels like they're throttling my connection and I don't know why. It's extremely rare that the internet completely disconnects, and I've restarted the white box maybe twice in all the time I've had it.

I'm just not really down for getting 35-40mbps down/6-7mbps up internet when I was originally told it's be almost twice that.

0 Ratings