cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: IP Profile - sudden drop 8 weeks ago (and again 23rd July)

first - I should apologise - when I've re read my earlier posts, I sound like a right tw@t - I was clearly letting my frustration in dealing with India get the better of me.  Sorry.

Would there be a logical reason, that someone not on planet BT, can accept as "why" there's been a 33% drop off in performance?  They resolutly refuse to accept any sort of issue exists and won't dispatch an engineer

I was on VM before I came to BT Infinity and got exactly what was on the tin - 60meg down and 3 meg up - the upload was the main thing that attracted me to Infinity, that plus a "reasonable" increase in download performance.  There seems little point in staying if the speed is never going to be higher than I'm getting now, at 50Mbps.

For the same money, I can have 200 meg download and 12 meg up - I fondly thought that as BT had increased the speed for Infinity 1 customers, they might offer a better speed for Infinity 2?  Mine seems to be going the other way - lol

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

John,

Sorry for the later reply - I don't use a HH5.  I was having terrible problems with the wireless performance, so I reverted to my ECI OpenReach modem about 18 months ago coupled to my own AC router.

When I was using the HH5, the wireless would drop off every few days and the kids were continually moaning at me !!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

unfortunately all the meaningful stats are held by the modem and unless unlocked are not accessible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

I "could" use my router as an ADSL modem and report the stats from that.  I bought it with the intention of a) boosting wi-fi performance around the house and b) having a "one box" solution.

It's an ASUS DSL-AC68U - I used it as a modem for a few days and it didn't seem to do so well, with many,many CRC errors.  Fortunatly, you can designate one of the LAN ports as a WAN port and I reverted to the ECI modem and just use the ASUS as a router (which is very good in my opinion).

I'm away for a couple of days from work - if you think it's a good idea, I can hook it up tomorrow night and let it run for a while and post some stats from it ?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

Hi,

Decided to reinstate the HH5 for a period to see if anything improves - stats from the HH5 are as follows:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1435016979
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 9/12/2015
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 09:09:40
6. Data Rate: 20000 / 58762
7. Maximum Data Rate: 20022 / 70930
8. Noise Margin: 5.7 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 14.8 / 14.6
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

IP Profile is currently:

56.8Mbps - it was 52Mbps this morning immediatly before I connected the HH5 up.

I'm not great at interpteting the stats - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

so using the HH5 has increased your speed slightly but still more needed to get to lower end of estimated speed.  need to leave hh5 connected now and see if DLM will improve connection speed nearer attainable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

thanks for the swift reply:

8. Noise Margin: 5.7 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 14.8 / 14.6

do these figures look ok ??

I'll leave the HH5 in situ for a few days, but the last time I used it as a combined VDSL modem and router (one box solution) it kept rebooting every night and the wireless performance tailed off to zero after a few days.

Is there any possibility that my OpenReach ECI modem is unwell ??  Seems odd that when I stuck the HH5 on, the speed increased - not to where it was, but it has increased.

0 Ratings