cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

IP Profile - sudden drop 8 weeks ago (and again 23rd July)

HELP !!!

I am demented trying to deal with India over this. I have immense difficulty understanding what they're saying - I find myself constantly having to ask them to repeat what they're saying.

Been on Infinity 2 since January 2014.  Had a few teething issues to start with, but it settled, and I've been very happy up to this issue.  For over two years, my IP profile was around 74-77Mbps (upload is ALWAYS 20Mbps).  I'm about 250m from the cabinet.  Using their own speed test page, I always used to get between 72 and 74Mbps, until 8 weeks ago.

IP profile dropped to 61 and refused to budge - I was checking it every day !!

Been on the phone to India more times than I can remember now and they keep say that it's "within the range of speed quoted at the point of sale" so they won't do anything about it.

SOMETHING must have happened 8 weeks ago that lopped 20% off my download performance - they won't even consider the possibility of a fault.  The last Open Reach engineer that was here said that if there were any performance issues in the future, the overhead wire would have to be replaced as he'd bodged it as much as he could by rerouting to bypass a dodgy bit of wire.  20m up the street the engineer was reading 76Mbps on my line.

The cabinet is ECI, as is the Open Reach Modem.

Overnight last night, 23/24 July the IP profile dropped again to 54 Mbps and I’m now getting 49-50Mbps abd I suspect I’m now interleaved as the ping has gone from its normal 14-15ms to 25-26ms

I’ve lost a third of my download performance in the last 8 or 9 weeks

When I told them this morning that it’s now slower than their minimum guarantee, he said “it’s not, you’re getting 54Mbps” - I’m not - the IP profile is 54, I’m getting 49ish

Is it conceivable that new connections have tipped the cabinet over a performance threshold and I will never get a faster speed now ?

I'm stuck in a contract with them until February next year - I know this is a "first world" problem and I'm still getting a "decent" service - all I want them to do is tell me what "might" have happened 8 weeks ago, and why the DLM is not increasing the speed gradually until it reaches the stable sweet spot ?

Rant over - sorry !!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: IP Profile - sudden drop 8 weeks ago (and again 23rd July)

can you post stats from your router please

can you enter your phone number and post results  remembre to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

have tou tried quiet line test?

your profile only drops when your connection speed drops which happens when router resets

the estimated speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds not download speed so it would appear from figures you quoted that you are within estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

I can't get stats as I'm using an ECI modem and my own router (the wireless performance on my HH5 was terrible)ScreenShot0009.jpg

have done "quiet line test", but inconclusive as I only have a DECT phone - not got a corded phone in the house - would have to "borrow" one from work

BT website says:

ScreenShot0010.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

a dull hum is normal when using cordless phone anything else may be a problem

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

ScreenShot0012.jpg

To be fair - it "has" been better this morning, contrary to this result?

There was more of a "hiss" on the quiet line test as opposed to a "hum"

All india keep saying to me is that I'm getting 54Mbps (presumably theyre just quoting the IP profile figure) - it's NOT what I'm getting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

as your profile is 54.8mb your conenction speed is 56/57mb which is the speed you are getting - it is not the download speed that is shown on the estimated speed so you are above guaranteed speed

as you use separate modem you cannot get the conenction stats unless modem unlocked

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

sorry, I don't understand that.

where is the connection speed 56/57Mb ?  I wish it was - it was last week, but dropped to the speed in the screenshot overnight - what I really wish is that the speed went back to the 74Mbps I was getting for over 2 years ?

The profile is 54.8Mbps, my uderstanding was that I'd NEVER get faster than the profile speed?  For some reason, that no one seems to be able to explain to me, the profile "was" 77Mbps and has now plummeted to 54Mbps

The modem is a bog standard issue ECI modem - not unlocked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

your profile is based on your cnnection speed so if profile is 54.8 then your conenction speed must be faster abiut 56/57mb  your download speed should always be lower than your profile but the estimates quoted by BT and dslchecker are connection speeds not profile or download speed

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

ok,

All I really want to know from BT is, "is this as good as I can expect now?"

8 or 9 weeks ago, I was a happy customer - now, I've lost a third of the performance?

When I asked about Infinity 1, they said it would cost me more money per month to downgrade?

My neighbour is on Infinity 1 and I tested her line and with a wired connection to my MacBook, she is getting 51.1Mbps out of her line - this makes me think that something catastophic has happened to my line.  I am met with a total refusal from Cust Care to send an engineer.

As I said, all I want is an explanation for the 33% drop in performance - if it was slow and gradual over several months, I wouldn't mind (well, I would) but there was a drop from 77 to 64 about 8 weeks ago and another drop of 10Mbps last night to the current 54Mbps IP profile.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

I am not saying you should accept that your conenction speed is below bottom dslchecker estimate just explaing to you that you are not looking at the correct figures when comparing your profile and download speed with the BT estimated speeds

0 Ratings