cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdturri
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

IP profile drop

I have had BT TV installed a few months ago and I have detected an issue I think it's related to that. Over the last few weeks my BT Infinity IP profile has been dropping. I know because I do speeds tests regularly (I am a bit obsesive about my internet speed). I always double check my speed tests from a wired computer on my network and I make sure nothing else is consuming bandwidth. After detecting that my internet speed dropped I did several tests and in the end I got to consistent set of results. From time to time I will see an IP profile drop. My usual intenet speeds are 63/18 and have been consistent for over 6 years when I got BT infinity installed. Although I am not 100% sure I am convinced the IP profile drop issues started when I got BT TV installed. I am a BT Sport customer so as you know the BT Sport channels go via IGMP IP multicast packets. I also have the UHD box and watch UHD Premier League games. Whenever I have an IP profile drop (see first screen shot) downloads and uploads are severely reduced, sometimes more than 50%. However I can easily get back to my "faster" IP profile by restarting the BT Openreach vDSL modem which is connected to an Asus RT-AC68U router running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. Restarting the Asus router has no effect. Shutting down the BT TV YourView box has no effect either.

I am starting to believe the BT Openreach vDSL modem is downgrading the  IP profile as the IGMP IP multicast packets are using a lot of bandwidth. In my tests and in line with what other people have seen, UHD streams use around 30Mbps and HD streams around 10Mbps. There are cases where I am watching/recording an UHD stream while I also record another HD streams. I have also noted that even after the program stops, the recording ends and the BT TV box is on "stand by" the available bandwidth in my internet connection does not immediatelly go back to what it should. My understanding is that when the BT TV doesn't need an IGMP stream anymore it should send a disconnect packet but this may not be happening properly for whatever reason. 

Has anyone seen anything like this?

BT IP Profile - 2018-04-19 before reboot.pngBT IP Profile - 2018-04-19 after reboot.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: IP profile drop

your ip profile is a function of your down conenction speed so as the speed changes so does the profile not the other way round.  so if your profile is dropping then your modem is dropping internet connection and then re-connecting at a lower speed hence the lower profile

unless modem is unlocked then all the meaningful stats are help by the modem

I would try connected modem to test socket with a filter and also check quiet line test by dialing 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cdturri
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. I get your point but this issue looks very different than the usual IP profile drop that people report over time. In particular I can easily get the "faster" profile back by simply restarting the modem, which other people are unable to do when they have an IP profile drop and need to ask BT for an "IP profile reset". This is what is leading me to believe the modem is lowering the profile as it sees only so much bandwidth available, perhaps is not aware of IGMP multicast packets and when the modem is restarted the multicast packets will stop coming down so full bandwidth is restored. I know that my Asus router doesn't seem to detect multicast packets as the live traffic charts show nothing when I am streaming BT Sports despite my network switch clearly showing constant traffic as expected from a live video stream. The other thing that doesn't add up is that I started to have these issues when I installed BT TV, before I had 62/18 for years without any issues so a sudden issue with the line looks an unlikely source of the problem. In IT the most likely source of new problems is where the change was last made...

I got a NTE5A BT master socket fitted but I see on the web there is a new BT Openreach NTE5C Master Socket which may provide additional filtering. I doubt this will help but happy to try it as the C variant of the master socket looks more modern.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 7

"I am starting to believe the BT Openreach vDSL modem is downgrading the  IP profile as the IGMP IP multicast packets are using a lot of bandwidth. "

Modems are dumb devices, they cannot do anything other than provide a connection between the router and the DSLAM and have no control over your IP profile, type of packet or anything else passing through them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

as I said already if your actual profile keeps dropping then your conencction speed must be dropping suggesting you have conenction problems whether that is noise on your line or some interference from the new addition to your system  either way until you solve the problem your speed will continue to drop as will your profile.  if it happens regularly enough then DLM will take action

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
cdturri
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Update:  I have installed a new BT Openreach NTE5C Master Socket and a new RJ11 broadband grade cable and have been doing speed tests for a couple of weeks. Initially I didn't see much improvement and speed tests were around 52mb. Even after a reboot my modem won't get the faster IP profile anymore. Over the last few weeks speed tests have improved a bit every time: 54mb, 55mb, 56.5mb currently. The download IP profile is now at 58.40mb so a speed test of 56.5mb is pretty much bang on considering the IP overheads. I have also started to get a consistent speed test of 19mb on uploads, something I never reached before (usually around 18mb). So while I am not sure this is the solution to my problem it looks like the new master socket is certainly helping me get better speeds. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

sounds really promising    as I said until you solve the problem of connection dropping you won't get any improvement in your connection speed and therefore better profile

0 Ratings