cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 67

Re: IP profile dropping ????

well, after a number of chat sessions, I was contacted by a Tech from Level 2 support and there's an engineer coming to my house on 27th May.

My neighbour 2 doors down has infinity and I tested her speeds and she's on 70 meg down and 18 meg up - I figure there must be a fault either in my house or on the way to the cab ??

Will keep you updated.

Cheers for the help 

0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 67

Best of luck. Hope they sort it, or at least discover what is affecting things.

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 53 of 67

Well, guess what...............................

Engineer was a no show today !!!

After 1hr 45mins on the phone, I was told that OpenReach had cancelled the call !!

The call was booked by a second line technician, I received a text message the following day confirming the appt and yet it was a no show.

After I complained about wasting a days holiday, I was offered £10 - I refused and said that it was an insult, and that my wasted day was worth more than that - they are going to offer me more after the fault is fixed !!!

New appt booked (confirmed by text message) for 29th - let's see what happens ??? 

I must have been bounced around 5 different operatives in the hour and three quarters I was on the phone - it's rediculous.

I know when I was with Virgin Media, they were rubbish, but if there were any faults, they did "appear" to be interested in getting them fixed - this lot were a joke toady.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
gravy1
Contributor
Message 54 of 67

Mine dropped an average of 3mb 5 times until it was low 50's... BT told me that was the correct speed and I was mistaken if I thought it had ever been faster.

An unoffial visit from a BT engineer fixed it when he reset something (I assume the DLM) and it went back to over 70mb and stayed there for months. recently it dropped straight to the 50's overnight then 49mb so I contact customer services who said there is a network fault in my area and would fix it within 3 days.

I checked my fault progress and it said "click here to accept as fixed" but I thought a speed test was due first and now I'm getting 44mb. I'll wait 2 weeks to see if the DLM is the problem (unfortunately I have no contact with the BT engineer from before Smiley Sad ) and as I have HH3 not HH5 I guess I cannot get those figures everyone else posts. I'm 15 months into an 18 month contract and always change ISP's as you get treated royally as a new customer so it's not a problem for me for long.

I do wonder whether a discount or refund is in order when infinity2 speed drops within 5mb of infinity 1 speed. If I were staying (and I do enjoy BT service) I'd be forced to accept infinity1 (until the ip profile dropped Smiley Very Happy)

I'd always expected and accepted it would drop 15% to 20%... when others joined locally and would gladly accept 60mb as acceptable but 40's is a definite no.

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings
gravy1
Contributor
Message 55 of 67

BT themselves find above 53mb acceptable and personally I find 60mb and above acceptable (with 64mb being ideal as I can download games at 8MB which is perfect when a steam game is 8Gb) . Bt recently closed my fault and said mid 40's was right for my line. I went to live chat and asked for my contract end date and then my phone rang from the uk priority team who asked me to reboot my OR modem and HH3 (which I had done 3 times in the last 5 days) and reboot my pc..... then suddenly 44 from 47 jumped to 57 from 47 Smiley Happy it's almost acceptable but VM (I hate Virgin) do 100mb for £1.48 more per month... and allowing for any throttling / traffic management it should still average more than mid 50's....... 

It's good but it's not quite carlin....... Smiley Wink

bt.jpg

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 67

@gravy1 wrote:

I checked my fault progress and it said "click here to accept as fixed" but I thought a speed test was due first and now I'm getting 44mb.

Odd isn't it that there isn't a button to click that says 'Click here if problem still exists'!?

I guess they are confident in their abilities!

Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 67

Engineer visit this afternoon - arrived 2:00pm, just left (17:00)

Excellent chap - very helpful - diagnosed a "dodgy" underground cable from the pole half way up my street to the pole I'm connected to.  As there were already 2 overhead cables connecting my pole to the one up the street, he called on the services of a BT cherry picker van and wired my connection into the overhead cables, bypassing the underground wire.  He also reset the IP profile.

Net result is 74.09 Mbps download and 18.8 Mbps upload and a ping of 15

The download IP profile is 76.54

No idea how long it will stay like this, but will monitor it and report back

Happy bunny (for now) !!!

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 67

thought it was too good to be true !!!

Got up this morning and did a Wholesale line test - IP profile has dropped to 66.49 - it was 76.54 yesterday after the Engineer left !!!

A 10 Mbps overnight !!!

time to try my Open Reach Modem and see it it settles over the next few days I think ???

0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 67

Think mine was the same. Immediately after the line reset I was getting speeds of around 69 down, with an IP profile of 73.

After training my IP profile lowered to 62, and I achieve speeds of 59 - 60. Of note is the HH restarted the following morning after the reset, with accompanying speed decrease, though from where it was (35) I am more than happy.

The speed has been stable since then, the HH restarting 3 times since. Hopefully the pattern of restarts isn't a bad sign, as first time there was a 14 day period before restart, then 10 days, then 4 days...

If that is DLM doing its thing then so be it, but after every restart the data rate has only moved fractionally (down, back up, back down). 

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 60 of 67

when I rang "customer care" they were totally disinterested.

They reckon that the speed I'm getting now is "acceptable" - the cheeky sod even said that anything above 40Mbps is "acceptable".

I've now attached an ECI Openreach modem and dumped the HH5 out of the setup for now - will run with that and see if there are any changes over the next seek or so.

I feel so cheated !!!  I "know" the line can support up to 74Mbps, but something is causing it to throttle back to 60-64Mbps - I'm only 250-300mtrs from the bloomin' cabinet !!

By the way, the ECI runs MUCH cooler than the HG612 3B - the HG612 3B gets warm to the touch, the ECI stays at ambient temp - doesn't feel warm at all.

The ECI is "BT" - ie not unlocked - the HG612 3B is unlocked with no BT software on it at all.

0 Ratings