cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

IP profile set to lower than minimum guaranteed?

Hi everyone, new user to the forum so bear with

Been trying to get to the bottom of a speed decrease with Infinity 2. Used to get ~74mbps when first installed about 5 years ago - great, so I know for a fact I am capable of getting full speed.

Recently noticed a drop in speed to the region of 67mbps, and even more recently 63mbps. I called BT once on each occasion, the first time being told 67mbps is still within guaranteed range so nothing can be done - second time round I spoke to a lovely rep who "reset the line" and I would "definitely get at least 70mbps" - not sure technically what he did, but it seemed he spotted a problem and told me it was fixed. This was about a week ago or so.

Today (still on 63mbps) I've had a mooch around on these forums for info and came across the BT wholesale checker for the cabinet, as well as the BT speed test that provides IP profile info. Gave them a go and it seems my IP profile is set to lower than the minimum guarantee at 64.77mbps. I'm guessing that means I will never reach a speed higher than that? 

The cabinet checker also gave a downstream handback threshold of 67.7 and a max observable line speed of 69.99. Does this also point to me never getting above that speed? If so, why? I know I can get above those speeds from past experience. 

I've attached screenshots for both. If anyone can help explain these to me and hopefully point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it Smiley Happy

ip profile.PNGcabinet.PNG

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: IP profile set to lower than minimum guaranteed?

Could you post the connection stats from the hub.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

Also do a quiet line test 17070 option 2, best with corded phone. Any noise report a line fault on 151. Don't mention broadband.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Hello, thank you for responding

I'm currently using a TP-Link router as the HH didn't play nice with upnp devices, I'll post the stats I could find, hopefully they're useful. If not I'll set up the HH and repost.

Note that the current downstream is exactly 67mbps despite my profile being set to less, with speed tests that agree. The "max rate" is at 74-76mbps which was around the speed I was getting before. Not too savvy but that stands out as odd to me.

I tried a quiet line test today while on the forums, with a cordless phone, so I'll try again tomorrow with a corded phone into the master socket. Any advice in the meantime would be appreciated!
router.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Your profile is set by your connection speed not the other way round.   So to get a higher profile you need to get a faster speed than your current 67mb

your system time shows as 5days but that is not as same as dsl/internet connection time so can you post from stats. It looks like you have been suffering from drops in connectionwhich has resulted in a higher than normal 6db noise margin and lower speed 

if there is no line noise on quiet line test then maintain connection and DLM should drop noise margin and increase speed. May take a few weeks though

i don't think the reset by customer services was anything more than just a connection reset hence why no improvement 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

The 5 day connection time is due to the rep telling me to reset the router after the connection reset, before that my router up time was 20+ days and usually hits the 30 day mark before needing a reboot. My noise margin is usually around 8.5 which is relatively high from what I've read. Is it high enough to warrant investigation?

The router is displaying a 67mbps speed despite me having 5-7mbps slower in reality. Does the fact I once reached ~75mbps mean anything or am I out of luck?

I'll get the HH up and running and post the stats from there

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

all speeds quoted by BT and shown in dslchecker are connection speeds not download speed. There is no guarantee on download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

I would have thought they were the same but that explains a lot. Looks like the HH is reporting a bang on speed of 67mbps - the absolute guaranteed minimum, with similar results to the TP-Link. 

An SNR reset isn't possible on VDSL is it? Only asking because I know I've had 74mbps comfortably in the past and the speed has now decreased - to the bare minimum guaranteed, which means I can't raise a complaint I'm guessing? Smiley Sad

Thanks for replying

bt.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

The hh5 stats are virtually same as the tplink. You don't get a noise margin reset like adsl on vdsl. 

Did you try quiet line test?  Quiet?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

I tried earlier on a wireless phone and heard some noise about a couple seconds into the test. I'll buy a corded phone tomorrow and try the quiet line test in the master and test socket if possible (I'm not using any landline phones - just router plugged into BT master socket) and get back to you. 

In a way I'm hoping for noise as it may be the only way of triggering investigation/ getting my old speeds back

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Line noise would explain why DLM has not reduced your noise margin and increased your speed. That was why I was asking if the internet connection time was the same as the system up time as they are normally different.  If connection ok then difference is maybe a minute or so as router powers up and then tries to connect to internet

0 Ratings