cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olem
Message 1 of 12

IPv6 / CGN

Hi,

So, with the news that RIPE is about to/has already run out of IPv4 addresses, has BT made any statement about this?

I'm not currently a customer, but I will be getting BT Infinity when I move to my new place in 3-4 months (current place has ADSL provided by landlord, so no hope of moving the account or anything clever).

I'm really worried that BT will charge me the same as everyone else for Infinity, but put me (and other new customers) on Carrier Grade NAT, with all the issues that causes.

Thoughts?

Joe

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: IPv6 / CGN

yeah right
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

BT have plenty of available IPv4 addresses available nothing to worry about
0 Ratings
morsing
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

BT, regardless of their own IPv4 pool, need to act responsibly and do something now! It's not about whether they can still make money and hook new customers up to an outdated Internet, but as more and more parts of the Internet moves onto IPv6, those customers won't be able to connect to anything new anymore. And even more importantly, BT as a nationally significant ISP, needs to be driving the move to IPv6 forward on behalf of everyone.

BTl, grow up and get on with it...

0 Ratings
chrcoluk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

plusnet (owned by BT) made a move, they trialing CGN but no sign of ipv6.

This tells me isp's will do what makes them more money rather than doing whats right for the internet.

eg. ££££ may ring in BT's ears when they realise they may make profit by making carrier grade NAT the standard and then charging for normal dyanamic ip's as a premium, and then saying ipv6 isnt workable.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 12

@chrcoluk wrote:

plusnet (owned by BT) made a move, they trialing CGN but no sign of ipv6.

This tells me isp's will do what makes them more money rather than doing whats right for the internet.

eg. ££££ may ring in BT's ears when they realise they may make profit by making carrier grade NAT the standard and then charging for normal dyanamic ip's as a premium, and then saying ipv6 isnt workable.

PlusNet ran trials for IPv6 but have stopped them as they're upgrading equipment and will return in the future once the upgrade has been completed.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
CyberKiller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I switched to infinity a few days ago and it seems that they have put me on CG-NAT. My external ip reported by my hub is different to the ip reported by whatsmyip.org. Port forwarding is impossible inside the CG-NAT so I have to use a VPN tunnel that supports port forwarding every time I want to get around it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Please see this thread.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Port-forwarding-only-works-for-BT-customers/td-p/839994/...

But he's already posted in that thread http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Port-forwarding-only-works-for-BT-customers/m-p/847150/h...

???

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
chrcoluk
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

0 Ratings