cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xiphiaz
Message 11 of 18

Re: IPv6 Deployment Information

I hope they do manage to get an upgrade working for the home hub 4 - I just joined BT last week and wasn't eligible for fibre so got the 4
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 12 of 18

Not yet had IPv6 implemented and enabled here however in the meantime configured our network to also provide a 6to4 translation IP translation. I believe native IPv6 it is still being roll out across the customer facing interfaces (I.e to the CPE) and will hopefully be done by the end of the year.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 13 of 18

What if you don't have a home hub 5?

I use a Dlink 868L which is ipv6 compatible connected to an Openworld modem. Will that be able to get ipv6 on the BT network when it goes live in my area?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 18

@xiphiaz said "Which Hub version (if at all) do you have? Does it matter?"

It certainly seems to at the moment. I was using a HH5B and didn't have IPv6. Changed it out to a Smart Hub and IPv6 has been there ever since. In message 10 @GeekOfBroadband also reported getting IPv6 as soon as he went to the Smart Hub.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ChrisFWood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

I would also like to know a few details about the IPv6 they are rolling out, I currently have IPv6 enabled and have been for years via HE and my draytek so have a full 64bit prefix etc. Obviously it would be better to be native IPv6 but are BT giving us a 64bit prefix or something else.  And how would I be able to configure my draytek to check if it is enabled in my area or can I check some other way.

0 Ratings
DannyBhoyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 18

It seems to be a 56bit prefix BT are using, weirdly BT's DNS servers don't support IPv6 so I've had to switch over to Google's DNS servers for "Whatismyip" to see my IPv6 address.

3rd party routers will work with BT's IPv6, just make sure to use Google's DNS 🙂

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 18

Since a resync of my line the IPv6 I had is no longer.... but when it was running the WAN interface was allocated a /64. This was what I saw at the time from the HH6 Advanced -> IPv6 -> Status page:

Hub IPv6 status: Enabled
IPv6 network status: Enabled
IPv6 WAN details
----------------
Global unicast address: 2a00:23c5:5500:d701:924d:4aff:fe0a:918d
Global unicast prefix/length: 2a00:23c5:5500:d701::/64
Link local address: fe80::924d:4aff:fe0a:918d
Remote link local address: fe80::223:3eff:fe6e:e650
DNS: Not available

Regards

0 Ratings
milfy32
Contributor
Message 18 of 18

@DannyBhoyyy wrote:

It seems to be a 56bit prefix BT are using, weirdly BT's DNS servers don't support IPv6 so I've had to switch over to Google's DNS servers for "Whatismyip" to see my IPv6 address.

When I connected my hub I saw my new address right away on whatsmyip. But I found browsing to be a bit slow so I also changed to Google. 

0 Ratings